Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 AM

Default my letter to RNC chairman Mehlman

kenmehlman@gop.com

Chairman Mehlman,

I am extremely distraught over my party’s actions concerning the recent internet gambling legislation. The manner in which this law was passed is truly frightening, but what worries me more is the “Big Government” attitude my party has adopted that would make them think this was okay. Since when are we the party that uses the brute force of government to control people’s day to day lives and decisions. Is my party actually telling me that, I am too stupid to make decisions for myself? It is my money after all. Isn’t it?

I have been a life long Republican, but today I have decided to vote for the other side in this fall’s midterm elections. Why? Because my party has abandoned its conservative ideals and the only power I have to stop the degradation of our freedoms is to vote for a divided government and hope for gridlock.

I am sure that losing one or both chambers of Congress will make prosecuting the War on Terror more difficult for the president, but what choice do I have when my party is actively engaged in reducing my rights and freedoms. I am sure that those who support this type of legislation feel confident in their moral calculus. Certitude however, while living under the United States constitution, does not give license to suspend another’s rights. In other words, if you don’t like it, don’t do it. But don’t you dare force me to follow your moral code! Recent history has clearly shown what this type of thinking leads to.

There is still time to correct course on this issue and others like it. Please let the leaders of our party know that they are driving the faithful away and without us the elections this fall will be a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps though, it is the tonic that our, drunk with power, party needs.

Sincerely,
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: my letter to RNC chairman Mehlman

Needs more swearing. And threats. Otherwise good.

A-
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Very nice letter that sums up pretty much how I feel as well.

Les
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 AM

mind if i copy/paste in a letter to my rep?

i'm to lazy to think for myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Excellent!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM

please help yourself. But I would suggest make some changes so that it doesn't look like a form letter.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Writing the RNC is a smart idea. If they get flooded by letters like yours, it is possible that they won't include further online gambling legislation on their platform in the future. Even though I'm not a Republican (I'm independent), I'm going to write them a letter similar to yours. The letters will probably have more effect if they come from Republicans, though, so I hope the GOPers around here let the RNC know how you feel about online gambling legislation.

For those wishing to use OP's letter as a form letter, it does contain a couple typos that you may wish correct before you send it in. Otherwise, I think the letter is very good.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 AM

The RNC, just like the DNC, doesn't care about your words. He cares about things like the cancelled checks he's not gonna get because of this issue, or even worse the checks he would've gotten that instead will go to the DNC, some third party, or no where at all. You wanna get his ear then that's what you use to bend it...cash. Over this issue he'd just take your cash and eff you very much, sir, so your only option is Negative cash.

I hear Party gift certificates are going pretty cheap now, maybe you can ship him a few of those lol.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:04 AM

I think this is a very strong letter!

To the OP, would it be OK for others to copy your letter and then hand write a personal message along with it?

The personal message could say something like this:

I have forwarded a copy of this letter that was sent to RNC chairman Mehlman because I ditto it! (Rush Limbaugh speak I think any republican would recognize.)

I have always voted Republican but, I too will also be voting for the other side in this upcoming election as a result of this legislation. This is the final straw!

What would Ronald Reagan think? The big attraction to the GOP has always been the line of "getting big government out of my life."

The only thing that could save my allegiance to the GOP is if their was a clear carve-out in this legislation for online poker as was given to the horse racing industry and lotteries.

I think I will send this to the RNC chairman, as well as my Senators, and even to Frist to let him know what a mistake he has made. The Christian vote he probably had even if this legislation never passes, but he cost his party my vote as a result of him pushing this legislation through.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would Ronald Reagan think? The big attraction to the GOP has always been the line of "getting big government out of my life."

[/ QUOTE ]

Reagan is sharing a drink with Goldwater, each lamenting what the GOP has become.