Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 05:31 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP on ESPN thread (10/3) ($1500 NL + $1500 PL Event)

[censored] that brent roberts guy...he sux...and gets no airtime...jeesh
Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP on ESPN thread (10/3) ($1500 NL + PL Event)

[ QUOTE ]
The Q7o hand was awful, I'll be the first to tell you that. I was tilting a bit, and misread my position. Seeing the hands Rafe was re-popping with (A2, A8) and the fact that he had gotten A LOT more aggressive after his chat with Phil Gordon on the dinner break, I felt like it was a good spot for a stop n go, but failed to realize I had the button.

Definitely a bad play by me, but the only real mistake I felt I made the entire final table, although there were a few hands (mostly not shown) where decisions may have been borderline.

-Rizen

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least you didn't misread the board HU 75BB deep.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM

Ugh, this blows. I watched the first show and didn't realize they were running another one afterwards and missed Rizen!

It didn't surprise me that the FT of the ghetto $1500 event had players re-raising K/J offsuit and other such rubbish. I don't believe they start you with many chips and there's a lot more luck involed and thus donkeys rise to the top in a lot of those shorter-stacked tourneys.

I think Cantu was the best player at the table, but that's not saying much, since he was a class-A douchebag.

And if I have to sit through another "life story" of one of these idiots who we'll never seen make another final table in their life again, I'm going to slice my eyeballs in two. God I'm sick of everyone having a fricken' story!

Do a story on someone when they've made two or more final tables, not before! I could care less that you overcame your hemmroids on Day 1 to play in the tournament and that you're playing this tournament in the memory of your goldfish who died because your sister forgot to change the water.

Oh yeah, and death to all the "just turned 21 three minutes before the tournament started" jerks who make final tables and cash for more money than I'll make in the next five years. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the 25 year-old retired baggage handler (or whatever) bragging on national TV that he's never read a friggin' book in his entire life. What's next, bragging that you've never brushed your teeth?

[/ QUOTE ]

My kids brag about not brushing. Don't ask me to explain it though.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 AM

Cantu = D-Bag

Sure, the KJ push was questionable - but what's the point in ridiculing the guy over the play? And he later feels the need to comment on the AJs call of the two all-ins - again, whether it was truly a bad play or not is irrelevant.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cantu = D-Bag

Sure, the KJ push was questionable - but what's the point in ridiculing the guy over the play? And he later feels the need to comment on the AJs call of the two all-ins - again, whether it was truly a bad play or not is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what happens when you allow your ego to take hold, you begin to think that only the way you play is correct and you also become stupid enough to educate others and potentially increase the difficulty of the games you play in.

I unfortunately see it all the time online in the chat as well, people bashing the ultra-fish in my games for playing so poorly and getting lucky. Some people can't fathom losing when the odds are in their favor, and they just aren't disciplined enough to keep their mouths shut.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

So what were there, like 2... maybe 3 hands total last night (in both hours of coverage) that contained post-flop play? Tournament poker on TV has become nothing but guys standing up and pacing while the dealer slowly flips the coin.

I know it's been said before, but at least the main event coverage had some hands where poker was played. Going to this is just pathetic. Good thing I TiVo'd it -- I got through both hours in about 45 minutes just fast-forwarding most of the time.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rocky = Brandon Cantu without the suckouts and winning coin flips

[/ QUOTE ]

And people folding TPTK to a raise.

I.E. The AQ by LY vs. Cantu's 88 on a board of A 10 4.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And people folding TPTK to a raise.

I.E. The AQ by LY vs. Cantu's 88 on a board of A 10 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ is not TPTK. AK is; and that's the hand Cantu was representing, even preflop. I agree Ly's play was a bit too tight there (I prefer a checkraise on the flop instead of bet/fold), but remember it was 3-handed and Cantu had a monster chip lead; Ly was second. If Ly pushes and is beaten, he's out in third, but if he folds and waits for the third guy to bust, he assures himself of 2nd place money at least, and a chance to play HU against a weaker player. And, in fact, he did have a slight chip lead during HU play.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Wow. Judging by his performance at the final table, it doesn't look like Rocky should be playing poker for a living.