Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Default 5/10 Stud/8 Easy fold on 5th?

Only read is seat 8 plays badly at stud/8. plays hands like 975

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (11.10 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (8.05 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (12.05 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

River - (12.05 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (14.05 BB)

Is this an easy fold on fifth.What about 4th. Should i raise and try and isolate seat 8 just fold?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud/8 Easy fold on 5th?

It looks like 2/3 of your outs are dead and even if Seat 8 sucks, Seat 4 is scooping you for both high and low right now, so just fold it.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM

You need running cards to make decent low, running cards to make a flush or straight, and ace a 5 or running cards to make a likely winning trip/aces up/boat hand. You are getting pretty good pot odds with your raise and the 4-way action, but a lot of your draws are kind up dead. So probably fold.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 PM

If you were completing the action on 5th I think it woudl be worth calling looking for a miracle card, because your hand does still have potential to make something strong, even both ways, but a raise behind you would be a disaster so I think fold.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were completing the action on 5th I think it woudl be worth calling looking for a miracle card, because your hand does still have potential to make something strong, even both ways, but a raise behind you would be a disaster so I think fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this. Being first to act here makes this a hand you cannot chase anymore.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM

4th, generally, you can't isolate people with an 8 showing. They tend to get frisky and reraise to reisolate you, and that's bad. Call and try to spike a heart or decent low card.

5th, you're gone. It sucks but a 1/20 backdoor flush or a 1/6 backdoor decent low is not worth a big bet (+maybe a raise). It's also a bad idea to play catchup against many low draws, as they tend to have cards that you need.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM

Disclaimer: I am bad at this game but I will get better very quickly, hopefully by giving awful advice here and having it corrected.

You should raise fourth for to try to knock people out. The pot is large and you just caught okay. You can't fold with your low and the flush draw so you have to raise and hope to get rid of some folks. It doesn't seem like there are many folders in this game though so:

If you just called fourth planning on raising fifth then that is okay too. Sucks you caught really bad on fifth and it looks like you aren't going to be able to knock out anyone. Good fold on fifth.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 AM

Raising fourth is not likely to get it heads-up.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 AM

I don't think that this is a terrible fold, but I would peel. Given your characterization of the bettor, it seems pretty likely that he doesn't have a made low yet. It would be better if your call closed the action, of course, but the first three players have all checked, so I think you're reasonably safe. Besides, the 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is coming.