Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Re: The average weight of men

I'm not an American. Sorry, I'm not.

I am a North American, Canadian and British Columbian.

In any case, what good is lumping half the world under a common name? Would you like to be called a "eastern hemispherer"? What good does that do? How uselessly undescriptive is that?

An American is someone from the United States of America. Saying anything else is patently incorrect.

It would be like you calling yourselves Australians in Australia, but Canadians calling you "Penal Thugs" as a proper noun. It's really no different. We have the right to call ourselves whatever we want and it is disrespectful of other nations not to refer to us as such.

Americans are Americans because that's what they call themselves. You have no right to tell them what to call themselves, just as Canadians have no right to refer to "Australians" as "Penal Thugs".

And don't start with accents. British people are somewhat annoying to listen to, Americans (most, not all) are extremely annoying to listen to, but Australians are off the charts. Worst accent in the world bar none.

Let's put it this way, I'm a student, and if I had to choose a professor between a barely comprehendible native Mandarin speaker and an Australian english speaker, I'd pick the chinese guy.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 AM

That's cool evank,

Like New Zealanders are referred to as, and indeed refer to themselves as, kiwis, I guess canadians could, for similar reasons, and especially based on your representation ought to, be referred to as loonies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I feel we have hijacked the thread, I have nor more comment on this. I'll leave the last word to a loonie if he wishes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM

The term is actually Canucks, but the "joke" stands I suppose.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM

The average weight of men really isn't very useful information. The average body fat % or average BMI would yield more interesting health trends.

For example, a 6'2", 200# guy with 15% body fat is far healthier than a 6'2", 200# guy at 35% body fat.