Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Studio 60 Episode 3

I liked ep 1, loved ep 2, and was bored with ep 3. But Peet is awesome and for the first time, I liked Paulson. It must have been the Holly Hunter thing. And I thought the dude's tom cruise was funny.

BTW I've been watching a bunch of Sports Nights lately. It's very, very good. Much better than Studio 60 so far. We need a SN appreciation thread.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 AM

I've liked every episode so far. That said, Sorkin's really got to stop reusing situations, lines, and themes from past shows. It was forgivable in TWW, because Sports Night had been such a short-lived and little-watched show. But at this point, it's just lazy. When I can turn it into a drinking game each episode, it's disappointing.

I mean, still better than most stuff on TV. But the comedy sketches need to get better and Sorkin has got to stop recycling material. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2006, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This episode was rather mediocre IMO. As it develops, I'm weary of them thinking WAY too highly of the social importance of a sketch comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've obviously never seen the writers of a sketch comedy show. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] They think they are shaping the world. Also remember that Al Gore changed his debate strategy because of what he saw on Saturday Night Live.

I still don't find Paulson even borderline funny and she is supposed to be this comedy gold superstar. Plus, I still don't feel it between her and Perry. I think she goes the way of Mandy. Supposed to be the foil, but just doesn't work, doesn't have the chemistry, will just fade off. The real interesting part is that I think Peet might have been the perfect person for that role. I've really been enjoying her character.

One thing about this show is that it never feels like it has been an hour. When that song started at the end I had to look at the clock because I thought it was odd to do this with 20 minutes left in the show. I like this right now much better than I liked the first few episodes of the West Wing.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Also, I find it kind of funny that they kept talking about how no one would "get" the Commedia dell'arte sketch, and yet they didn't pronounce Commedia dell'arte correctly a single time. Not to mention that Moliere IS connected to Commedia dell'arte since he was influenced by it.

I mean, if you're going to make obscure references and ramble on about whether or not regular old people will get them, the least you could do is get the details right, no?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've liked every episode so far. That said, Sorkin's really got to stop reusing situations, lines, and themes from past shows. It was forgivable in TWW, because Sports Night had been such a short-lived and little-watched show. But at this point, it's just lazy. When I can turn it into a drinking game each episode, it's disappointing.

I mean, still better than most stuff on TV. But the comedy sketches need to get better and Sorkin has got to stop recycling material. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all this. But I actually thought he did this less and episode 3 than he did in ep 2.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this right now much better than I liked the first few episodes of the West Wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy talk. The first episode of WW is unreal.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all this. But I actually thought he did this less and episode 3 than he did in ep 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did, but it's disappointing that he's doing it at all.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 AM

Along with what others are saying, I have a couple more things to add:

1) The opening theme music is terrible. I don't watch much TV at all, but from what I've seen, this is the worst opening to a show.

2) I don't really think Sorkin can write comedy ... I don't know how funny the show is supposed to be, but I was really hoping / expecting for a well written Sorkin drama ... I thought the pussyboy stuff was kind of funny, but other than that I haven't even cracked a smile.

3) In terms of drama, I think there's too much drama drama ... what I mean is, she slept with him stuff and I'm not funny and they're gonna hate me stuff ... possibly it's the actors that aren't delivering ... the West Wing dominated for the type of drama I'm looking for, because they made issues personal, without going overboard or trying to cram it down your throat ... I don't know, the first couple seasons of West Wing were probably the best series ever on television.

4) Matthew Perry is completely owning the show ... I love what he did in his West Wing episodes and he's playing this part to the hilt. I've seen a handful of Friends episodes and I think I've seen him in a movie, both 180's of what we see here ... I'd say he's doing everything right.

I make a lot of comparisons to West Wing, but that's the only reason I'm watching this show ... I never saw Sports Night, and as I said I don't watch much other TV, but I had really high expectations for this after West Wing. While it's not sucking in any way shape or form, it's many notches below where I hoped it would be ...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 AM

This thread is worthless without pics. So here's one ;-)

NSFW Amanda Peet
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 AM

One more thing I'd like to add, and I'm not trying to beat down on the show, but I don't think it's gonna make it to Season 2, and possibly might not make it to the end of Season 1 ...

When do they move shows to more primetime slots, when it's not doing well ( to get it in front of more of an audience ) or when it's dominating ( because it will make more ad cash )?