Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Getting involved in Politics

Now I think we can all agree that the government sucks. Both republicans and democrates alike could care less about the actual liberties of the common man. As long as they get reelected they will do whatever the hell they like. So why are we not workin to get a 3rd party active? Why are we not making the government actually stand up and listen to what real people want and not what they think will get them elected? With as many people as frequent these forums as there are I think we could cause some action to be taken if we were all united
Old 10-03-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Getting involved in Politics

Third parties rarely exisit in majoritarian electoral systems. It's known as Duverger's Law
Old 10-03-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we not making the government actually stand up and listen to what real people want...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of what happened. Back in the late 70s, Christian conservatives starting becoming seriously organized in politics so that the government would listen to them. Over the past few decades, they've grown in influence and can now seriously impact legislation.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:29 AM

http://www.lp.org
Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 AM

I have voted conservative, Republican for many years as a Christian. But I am now forming a new party called Anti-Incumbent. Preferably sticking to Republicans during primaries and Libertarians/Independents where available. But my new motto is enforcing my own term limits on everyone.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.lp.org

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that
Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 AM

um, a third party has never won, why not vote for a party that can do some good rather than just not voting for a major party? i agree neither party seems appealing right now, but democrats usually dont screw things up as badly as republicans do
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 AM

A quick summary:

- No one wants to vote for someone with no chance to win; everyone wants to feel like their vote is 'useful' (it isn't useful no matter what, but that's another discussion). Hence, it is tremendously difficult to get a 3rd party off the ground.

- On the rare occasions that there is so much discontent with an existing party that a 3rd party does arise, its issues can easily be coopted by a major party, leaving the 3rd party high and dry.

- And, the rules are majorly skewed against 3rd parties ever getting off the ground. For example, "you can't be in the debates unless you're polling at 5% or higher".
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM

yeah i was thinkin the lp..which does have people in office so they are off to a decent start

2nd...as yall point out..when we actually get going on something the others are forced to react. So if all of a sudden a party that supports internet freedom starts to gain ground..what are the big 2 gonna have to do? give into internet freedom...Still a win..By sitting here and not getting organized we are basically just giving up...By backing a group that can help us we woudl be forcing the big 2 to change their opinions
Old 10-03-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
um, a third party has never won...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. The Republicans won in 1860 as a third party.