Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: About the WTO case

This has actually been a reasonable size issue in the UK. Thought you might like the article below, which suggests anger at protectionist legislation in UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5400482.stm
Old 10-02-2006, 10:23 PM

LOL, no I can't say that I am.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that if someone tried to buy that stuff over the net it would get confiscated by Customs when it arrived in this country?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that the US would not be the only country able to buy these goods? However, only the US' international copyrights would be affected.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 AM

CNBC Europe just had a British financial expert (Simon Holiday Partner, Global Betting & Gaming Consultants) on talking about the WTO case in regards to the gaming stocks. He basically said that the WTO lacks the power to change the way the US looks at this topic and doubted they would be able to in the future, although he did not rule out legal trade challenges from those business that are publicly traded companies.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that if someone tried to buy that stuff over the net it would get confiscated by Customs when it arrived in this country?

[/ QUOTE ]

are YOU aware that you can buy hallucinogenic mushrooms online, marijuana seeds, opium poppies and countless other contraband that aren't confiscated by US customs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for a good laugh amidst an grueling month.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are YOU aware that you can buy hallucinogenic mushrooms online, marijuana seeds, opium poppies and countless other contraband that aren't confiscated by US customs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not kidding. i've drank poppy tea that was made from poppies purchased over the internet.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Mr. Cohen, I admire your courage and tenacity. Thank you for all the information about the WTO and this case.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not kidding. i've drank poppy tea that was made from poppies purchased over the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "good laugh" was refering to the "links?" response.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:53 AM

You would think some Senators would find some $motivation$ to prevent US complanies losing billions to offshore copyright anarchy.

GO ANTIGUA!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 AM

JC,

Antigua has ZERO leverage wrt the US. All the WTO can do is give them a ruling that they are entitled to implement retaliatory trade sanctions in return. Which doesn't mean squat because of their size. Also, the lawyer who represents Antigua has posted in this forum in the past year, though not for a while now. Only *if* the UK should decide to go that lengthy route and was prepared to back up such a favorable ruling with trade sanctions could the WTO issue make a difference. The US is obviously lying about being in compliance, but with tiny nations like Antigua they just don't see a downside.