Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Default AQ flops trips in 3-bet pot

Villain is 23/13/3 after 85 hands. This is the first hand he 3-bet me. He probably has a narrow range, and maybe I should just fold it pre-flop b/c of reverse implied odds. Thoughts? I don't normally lead out in 3-bet pots, but I've been trying it out recently. My plan was to lead flop, check turn, and then bet river. I thought this would get the most out of KK-JJ, and if he bet the turn, I'd have a pretty good idea if he had AK. You guys like this line? I didn't know what to do on the river because I'm now losing to KK, which is definitely a big part of his range.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($409.90)
BB ($87.35)
UTG ($393.67)
MP ($390)
Hero ($785.10)
Button ($538.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $45</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $29.

Flop: ($96) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $68</font>, Button calls $68.

Turn: ($232) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($232) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

bet/call?
bet/fold?
check/call?
check/fold?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 AM

Default Re: AQ flops trips in 3-bet pot

bump
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 AM

I go ahead and bet the turn for like $175 and then about pot the river. Go broke or win a big pot if he raises by getting it all in.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 AM

Fold preflop, especially out of position. I would vary my line on the river, but nothing is too appealing. If he doesn't have KK, he isn;'nt going to pay you off unless he has AQ/AJ and is raising light. I am sure you can bet/fold this...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:50 PM

fold preflop, bet/fold river

i'm not sure i really like the flop lead here. you're in pretty sad shape against this guy's reraising range...he either has AK or a lower pair that won't give you much action.

what's your image like?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM

You have tot bet the river, as there are no hands that you can really induce a bluff from. If he was floating, he would have bet the turn, so he is either slowplaying, or he has an underpair. Whether or not to call a raise depends on your guy.

You could either bet weak (Say $75-100), if you think he'll try to raise you off with weak made hands, or value raise a worse A, and call, or bet strong, (ike $175-$200), and hope he'll make a big call with one of those hands, he'll almost definitely still call with an A, and you can be more sure that you're beat if you get raised.

Definitely fold PF, though.

I like your flop play a lot more with AK, or if you had reason to suspect that he might have worse As in his hand range, so you don't have to worry about being good, and since "nobody leads out on an A" he's very likely to at least take one off with a big pair.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:31 PM

My image was TAG leading up to this hand.

[ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure i really like the flop lead here. you're in pretty sad shape against this guy's reraising range...he either has AK or a lower pair that won't give you much action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda like the flop lead. I had him on a similar range as well: AK-AQ, TT-KK. His range could be even narrower than that though.

If he has TT-KK, he can't fold to a flop lead b/c it looks random and bluffy. And I don't think he can really re-raise with these hands, b/c he'll be turning them into a bluff. If he thought I was bluffing, it'd be better for him to call me down. On the turn, I expected him to check behind with these hands, so he could get to showdown cheap. Also, b/c of the pot size and stack sizes, this would be a spot where I could CRai, which makes a check with these hands the best move. If the river blanked, I figured I could get another 2/3 pot bet out of KK-JJ, b/c villain "under-represented" his hand, while I really haven't defined my hand and air would still be a part of my range.

Now if he has the same range, but this time, I check-call flop and the turn gets checked through, on the river I can't expect him to call a bet as frequently b/c my hand has been more narrowly defined in this case. Same case if I lead the turn to a certain extent. Also, I don't think he would value-bet a hand like JJ that often on the river, if I decided to check to him.

Now if he has AK, I'll probably find out on the turn, b/c he'll likely bet it. In that case, I think I can check/call turn and then check/fold river and lose the least when I'm behind. I could also check/fold the turn I think b/c I believe a fair amount of players might check AQ behind on the turn.

I hope I explained that right. I felt that the flop lead accomplished two things: 1. narrowed his range 2. kept my hand range wide. I'd like to discuss it more though, because I really don't use flop leads that often in re-raised pots.

[ QUOTE ]

fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, I definitely should've folded pre-flop.