Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Americans living overseas, can we still play?

[ QUOTE ]
What about Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]
I could dig Toronto must definetly Vancouver/BC.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stepfather is a no go for getting you in. You pretty much need immediate blood relatives here to get in. It does vary by country, however. I'm sure some may be easier than others, but most require family ties or work/school. Check the websites for various countries immigration boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I recall that getting Italian citizenship was not too difficult. My mother is first generation American with both of her parents born in Italy. One you get citizenship to any EU country ..you're good to go all over the EU right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If one of your parents was born in a EU country and has EU citizenship then it's not too difficult. But you pretty much need to be first generation immigrant to the US from Europe. And yeah, citizenship in one is good for all (with some minor stipulations).
Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM

For those of you who are students you can try to use the exchange student programs. I'm french and some of my friends went to US thanks to such programs while US student went to France. These US students have been allowed to stay for 1+ year as a legal resident and thus have been able to open an account in a french bank, to rent a flat and I think to play poker... There are such exchange program between a LOT of country (at least all EU country + asians + americans).

If anybody comes to Paris in the near future feel free to PM me.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:23 AM

How long can US citizens stay in Canada each year. I'm thinking in terms of taking 2 or 3 two month vacations there each year, not a long term residence. Do they track the dates you cross the border in each direction?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone have any idea? i live overseas but have US addy and bank account. if i change it to foreign address and bank account, than can i still play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but Thailand is no good. You can't get a Thai address and bank account to play poker. You have to move to a
different country.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't have to 'move' there, only have an address there. a PO box or similar service would work fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, bank account would have to be in that country as well. Problem is you really don't want to have to file a W-9 (I don't want the government keeping track of my foreign money, even if I am paying taxes) and that's pretty much impossible w/o permanent residence there. Also, many countries won't allow bank accounts unless you reside there.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://firstcaribbeanbank.an/

[/ QUOTE ]

Degen, if you don't mind my asking, how are you going to handle this situation? I JUST bought a round-trip six-month ticket to Thailand to play poker full-time (and quit my job - lovely) in Bangkok, and would really appreciate any advice you can give me. Does the Caribbean bank account/PO Box route look promising to you? I'll look into it further...

Thanks,

Brass
Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM

Do you guys not have any relatives outside of USA?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM

KKF, your mistake is that you think you'll still want to play at party. The reasons you played party up until now is the huge number of american fish. You'll want to be playing where the (remaining) fish go, and they'll probably go to a poker site that does not care about them being from the US.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I.e., can I get a residential address there? Is it easy to become a resident and open a bank account?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

your mailing address and your bank have to be in the same country

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a US citizen living permanently in Ireland. My Neteller mailing address is Ireland, but my bank is in the US. I've never had a problem with Neteller and I've made several withdrawls to my US account since I changed my Neteller address from US to Ireland.

I'm pretty sure I'll need to setup a new Neteller account and link it to my Irish bank account, though, because of the new legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spy dog,

where in ireland do you live? I really want to visit once I graduate and can afford it.

is it super awesome? i bet it is.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky