Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: are online poker players enough to tip the election

[ QUOTE ]

all,

Am I the only one who hopes that this helps frist get nominated? I mean, Frist can't win the actual election if he gets the Republican nod, can he?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't looked this week, but he was 29-1 to win the 2008 election last week.

Lori
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM

That about sums up why the Republican party felt comfortable ramming this through Congress so quickly.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM

He would never come close to getting the ticket for republicans...We can do much better.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't looked this week, but he was 29-1 to win the 2008 election last week.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm. Those look like good odds. I think I'll put some $ on that... oh wait...DOH!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
away from Frist, if he runs for President in 2008?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the answer is yes. If every US player on Party/Stars/etc registered (as a Republican, if necessary) it is quite likely enough to kill him at the Primary stage. Less likely in a general election, but primaries draw less voters.

However, from a larger perspective, there's a clear culprit at work here: the religious right. They are the only group that has this on their agenda.

So, here's what you do:

(1) Register to vote. If you don't like the pandering to the religious right, oppose it with your vote. If you are new to voting, this is especially powerful. A new vote in the system brought in by Frist being heavy handed is actually a powerful consequence.

(2) Go to actblue.com. Find a candidate in your state, and send them some money if you can afford it. The democrats are in seriously contention right now to take back one or both houses of Congress. Ship the guy in your state $100. Even if your state seems "safe", when you start supporting an opposition candidate in it, it forces the Republican political machine to spend time/money worry about that race, and splits up their efforts, and can ultimately leading to them losing in other places.

Realistically, Democrats aren't really likely to out and out legalize poker. What we need is the gaming industry to basically make a bunch of big donations so that next time some critical security bill comes up, they can slip a rider on that converts poker to a 'game of skill' and exemps it as a wager and effectively legalizes it. However, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place if Frist wasn't trying to pander to the groups that care about banning Internet Gambling. The only way to avoid this sort of pandering is to get in there, find out what sort of issues they're promoting that you disagree with, and oppose them with your vote.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM

Default No (n/m)

Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 AM

Online poker players alone are probably not enough to tip the balance. However, we are probably not the only group that will finally wake up to the fact that our freedom is eroding rapidly. If Republicans maintain control of Congress in the upcoming elections, expect more such repressive legislation to pass. One can only hope, that as more people have their lives messed up by this sort of thing, that they will wake up, too.

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people have to be personally impacted by such leislation before it bothers them. As long as somebody else's ox is being gored, they say, (not without justification) "Yes, but the Democrats are economcally brain-dead and soft on terrorism."

The only bright spot I can see in this mess is that it give me the chance to say "I told you so." to a lot of people who have had blinders on up to now.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Even if online poker didn't exist I'd hope that people wouldn't vote for Frist.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Psst, here is the information you requested

You just don't get it.

With great organizational tools like Myspace, all things are possible.

All you 30 and under-year-olds should be out organizing myspace hit teams, discussing the very evil aspects of this (and many other) abridgements of your rights. You could inflame millions of otherwise dormant minds virtually overnight. You have the power, so get off your dorm room lounge couches, quit scratching your balls over Notre Dame's latest line, get thee a clue and get to work.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(2) Go to actblue.com. Find a candidate in your state, and send them some money if you can afford it. The democrats are in seriously contention right now to take back one or both houses of Congress. Ship the guy in your state $100. Even if your state seems "safe", when you start supporting an opposition candidate in it, it forces the Republican political machine to spend time/money worry about that race, and splits up their efforts, and can ultimately leading to them losing in other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

The democrats supported this bill too:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll516.xml

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ro...&vote=00249