Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 PM

Default When to move up?

Are there any "rules of thumb" as to when you are ready to move up to higher limit games? I haven't been playing very long, and only play once or twice per month, but thanks to the 2+2 books I am making about $10 per hour at the 2-4 holdem tables.

I am debating whether to try it out at the 4-8 tables next time I go. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: When to move up?

If you are really making 10$ an hour at the 2/4 tables and you have the bankroll, you should move up.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 PM

I assume you're talking about taking a temporary shot and not moving up forever. If that's the case then as long as you can take a shot for $300 or so and not be taking a serious hit, it's worth a try.

I assume of course that poker isn't your only income and that you'll just scurry back to 2/4 if things don't go well. If that's your situation you don't need nearly as much bankroll as you would if you were moving up permanently and couldn't reload if necessary.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yes of course this is not my job or anything, just a hobby once or twice per month, but obviously it is more fun the more I win.

I care mostly about maximizing expectation, I am not terribly worried about swings of the order ~few hundred dollars (although thanks for reminding me of this). If 4/8 is more profitable then I will stay there. I just rather not find out that it is costly the hard way. Given that both of you suggested I try though I will probably do just that the next time.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 AM

i just moved up. and took a 50 bb hit. which is equvalent to 100 bb at my old limit(im pissed). god damnit. its a good thing that soon after i went on a 150 bb street at my new limit which is all the merrior. im gonna keep goin up when i have 320 bbs at a new level and im not lookin back.

see yas at 50/100 soon high stakes gods!