Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Failed fancy play on the river.

No reads. Obviously my fancy river play failed, any suggestions on a different line? My plan was to check-call flop, and bet / 3-bet the turn but the guy who donked screwed up my plan.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

River: (13 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Failed fancy play on the river.

ignore the river, the real error is that you didn't donk the flop.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you play the turn if you donk the flop and he raises? I'm assuming you just call the flop raise.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM

*grunch*
I'm just bet/3betting the flop. The river play is really bad. Just lead out.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you play the turn if you donk the flop and he raises? I'm assuming you just call the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume this? Threebetting the flop is a great way to keep your action going. People generally read aggression on the big streets corrects; however, they view aggression on the flop as weakness.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Cut out the fancy play and just bet the flop. The guy capped PF, so he's got a good hand and may be willing to go 3 or 4 bets on the flop AND turn. You can't jam the pot if you don't bet or raise in the first place.

Checking the river is bad.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 AM

I usually just lead this flop, and then 3bet if given the chance.

Also, why not just lead the river, he is surely going to pay you off, and after he just calls your turn donk, it seemed pretty transparant he might check behind.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 AM

On the flop you check, cold call a raise, and then on a blank you suddenly donk the turn. Anyone can see something is going on here. It's capped preflop, they know you know they have an overpair. So you must have a ten then. If you're going to bet the turn, just 3 bet the flop. I'd also lead out on the flop here, and just keep clicking bet/raise from there on. You often get more money in by just 3 betting the flop. If they pay you 2 SBs more, that's the same as when you c/r the river.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:16 AM

That river K is a bad card to check with. He would have more reasons to believe that he was behind if he had QQ JJ or even reckless 99. To bet on turn was the worst play IMO. The river was ok after betting the turn, he might decide to use that K as a card to bluff (Unlikely but since you had no reads on your opponents, some players would do anything to win a pot, trust me I have seen it happen before) or he may read you as JJ if he had QQ and decide to value bet river since you might put him on AK in previous streets (It is not a unusual play for AK on capping the flop, plain call the turn, then now bet river)
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM

to me thats a donk every street hoping for raises. that hand is too good and well disguised (no one thinks you have quads and you wouldnt rr with a 10 in your hand, unless you were a moron)
dont act tricky at those villians act forward. you acted forward preflop and look at all the action you got. continue with it.