Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Depressed? Homely? Lonely? Addicted? Suicidal?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you forgot to add that therapy costs like $150 a session, even more for someone who can prescribe medication. Basically, therapy is for "rich" people who have $600+/month of disposable income that they don't mind paying for talk therapy.

So, in short, this advice only applies to certain people. For those in the average income bracket, therapy is not affordable. So basically your advice is good for about 10-15% of those it is targeted to.

Almost every private practice therapist I have ever met offers a sliding scale. I paid $100/hr for one guy. He was seeing other people for $30/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble believing that. The only place I know of where therapy is cheap is where you get a graduate student in training at a hospital. The therapy is cheap, but the therapist is not licensed.

Therapists simply cannot afford to offer therapy for $30/hr. Their overhead costs are such that $150-$200 is a pretty standard fee. It seems expensive from a patient's point of view, but I think we underestimate the amount of money a therapist has to spend to keep the practice going. I don't know the particulars of this, since it was a friend who had therapy twice a week and was on a whole bunch of meds that told me this. Apparently therapists incur a lot of overhead costs which are passed onto the patient.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM

I thought getting a cat would help me, it didn't. I thought quitting MMO's would help me, it didn't. I thought playing bridge 3 times a week and actually seeing real people would help me, it didn't. I thought exercising regularly would help me, it didn't.

I doubt seeing a therapist is going to make any difference, except having less money in my wallet. I'll go see them, talk for an hour about my problems, and then go home and continue to lead my life the way it is now. Therapy isn't a magic solution to people's problems. When I'm rich (which will likely never happen) I'll go see one but until then I need all the money I can get.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:21 PM

I went to therapy sessions as an undergrad. I did not feel any better. I think paying out the ass for therapy will make me feel worse. I hate talking through my feelings so much.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Life sucks, and then you die.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:07 PM

this is absolute nonsense............please disregard it............save your mental health, and maybe your life....b