Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Default betting out of position against a calling station

Opponent was a calling station and all of sudden starts to bet into me. Should I have called him down or perhaps reraised? Just found his reraise on the flop odd.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.00 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: betting out of position against a calling station

Why 3bet the flop? Why are you folding on the turn?

What kind of "calling station" is he? What does his raise mean preflop? THe turn might not be so bad.

why are you b/3b him on the flop, if you think you are screwed? I am just totally confused by your thouight process
Old 10-01-2006, 10:41 AM

I reraised on the flop to see if he would cap. If he conceded on the turn then I would know Im most likely in the lead. When he raised back on the turn, I was worried about a full boat. Just Felt it was a bit aggressive for a calling station to only have top pair.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:41 AM

You have to see the river at least. You are now drawing to a nut flush draw. Given the action, there is very little chance that you are up against a full house.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 AM

Did you really fold TPGK + nut fd hu for a single turn bet in a 10BB pot? Disastrous decision. Easy calldown.

Btw.: Why don't you c/r the flop? is he really that passive?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reraised on the flop to see if he would cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

People will wait until the turn often to pop you again, because they know you are going to bet out, and the pot is hu, so I wouldn't rely on this method for much info.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 AM

Calling stations don't bluff. when they raise you in this position just go into WA/WB mode and call him down. AJ, JJ, A9, AK, 9x beat you by the turn.

I would have called the flop raise, check/called the turn and check/called the river.

I sometimes reraise from the sb with AQs against a normally passive player. It gives me more information and allows me the opportunity for a check raise if I hit my flop.

Usually that slows them down and if they reraise you on the flop you can be much more sure of what they have.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:57 AM

i'd prob check the flop for starters. given the flop bet, i don't think i 3-bet.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have called the flop raise, check/called the turn and check/called the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree, if you want to lead this flop (I prefer a c/r) just calling the flop raise should be the better play. Against a calling station you don't have to fear a bluff or that he checks the turn. If he raises this flop he usually has a hand.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I reraised on the flop to see if he would cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

People will wait until the turn often to pop you again, because they know you are going to bet out, and the pot is hu, so I wouldn't rely on this method for much info.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG.. STOP RAISING FOR INFO!!!!!!

** SAVE THE MICROS!