Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 AM

Default small suited connectors

ssh recommends small suited connectors in late position for pf play minus straight cold calling. But if you say have 54 suited and you flop a straight draw with 6 players in the pot, most likely someone is drawing to a larger flush than you. SO suited connectors are only good for straight draws. And SSH specifically discourages pf play with anything below j10 o. SO unless you are in a pot with less than 5 players, small suited connectors would be unprofitable. AM I correct in thinking this? If not please explain why.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 AM

Default Re: small suited connectors

Yes you are correct, though I wouldn't worry about the over draw with the flush too much as its a rare occurance with a 3 flush board. The fourth flush card of course is a huge problem.

Counting outs is very important when you play small suited connectors, its normally a case of the player not playing the odds properly because they overcalculated their outs.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 AM

so would you suggest elminating small suited connectors for the most part from preflop play?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you say have 54 suited and you flop a straight draw with 6 players in the pot, most likely someone is drawing to a larger flush than you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says anyone's drawing to a flush?

If the flop is K76 rainbow, that's great for you.

If it's K76 with two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s and you have 54[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], then that's not as good and you'll have to discount your outs; but with six people in it's still an easy peel.

If it's K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7x 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and you have 54[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], then anyone with a higher flush draw has seven outs and you have six. No disaster.

If it's Kx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then you're golden, as all your outs are clean and anyone drawing to a higher flush has five outs. Plus, if he has Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and you hit the 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you will win a bundle from him.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 AM

I play them only from late position with at least 4 callers, 54s minimum. If you hit, just don't go to town capping with it if you get action.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 AM

Thinking someone else *must* have a bigger flush is just MUBS. I think SSHE does mention it and says that yes, you're going to lose sometimes to a bigger one, but most times you're taking down a decent pot.

SSHE discourages playing small connectors because they only have one way to win. JTo can win pots with top pair, and of course any str8 it makes with both cards is the nuts.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking someone else *must* have a bigger flush is just MUBS. I think SSHE does mention it and says that yes, you're going to lose sometimes to a bigger one, but most times you're taking down a decent pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Flush over flush is rare. I get more worried when I have made my flush and am still faced with lots of action and
a. A fourth card of the suit appears
b. the board pairs

I see you wanted to be part of the next session review. the next one will start being arranged 6th of October. watch out for the thread and PM me again then. thx.