Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM

Default 88 gets 3balled...

Twice. By the same dude.

Villain here is known to hero. He plays a 30/15 game, likes to 3b and take the lead pf. He also likes to do a lot of betting on the flop (to find out where he stands apparently), especially HU.

3/6 Limit Hold Em
Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: 5.5BB

Villain told me later he had AK without a d.

A few orbits later...

3/6 Holdem Ring game

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.67SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: 3.83BB

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Re: 88 gets 3balled...

1st hand: The way you played it is ok but I'm not sure if calling down UI and raising the river when we hit is better.

2nd hand: yeah good
Old 09-30-2006, 08:11 AM

I think you need to raise this kind of player a good amount of time (hand 2). I don't say 100% of times b/c this flop sucks, but generally against players who "like to bet to see where they are" you need to raise them a lot.

This is one I just played. Villain is super aggro LAG 45/30/3:

rima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.25BB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: 7.25BB

After the hand he typed: QQ
I said good fold

So agressive players can fall victims of their own agression if you challenge them right.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:19 PM

You got lucky. This doesn't work enough to be profitable.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You got lucky. This doesn't work enough to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask for critique for my hand. I just tried to show that agression can be fought with agression (but not exclusively with agression).

And NO I didn't just get lucky. And YES this can be profitable depending on how and when you use it.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:24 PM

i think winning 3 bets pots with 88 on a AKx suited flop is not something most players should strive for, even if you are giving the best hand, it won't be often and it is much easier to make mistakes on the turn or river than it is to get max value.
I agree with they both hands OP played.
I'm curious about your plan on the river if hand one is c/r on the turn?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Kapw7 has a legit point. However, is there any way to calcaulate how often villain will fold? I guess we could go through his range and see what he may and may not fold right?

Obviously at the table, I just went by instinct, but I am going to do that out by hand...
Old 09-30-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think winning 3 bets pots with 88 on a AKx suited flop is not something most players should strive for, even if you are giving the best hand, it won't be often and it is much easier to make mistakes on the turn or river than it is to get max value.
I agree with they both hands OP played.
I'm curious about your plan on the river if hand one is c/r on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan for the river if I get c-r'd? What river?

This is not a standard play. I had (or I believed I had) a good read and went for it. What was important for me was that someone folded QQ here, something which is probably unthinkable in this foriums for this kind of opponent.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:53 PM

river question for for OP
Old 09-30-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river question for for OP

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to call with the OESD, because I think he plays a FD + OC harder on the flop.

The river is going to be questionable, and really depends what comes.

I have position though. I doubt he bets a diamond (if he does im folding.) I am also folding to a bet on an ace.

Actually, I am folding to most river bets after he c/rs the turn. Because this villain won't do that to me unless he has a big PP, which I can't push him off of. However, he is probably wary of the diamonds and the fact that I am tight and may also have a big PP, so I think hes c/cing most rivers.