Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Default Re: How Bout These \"Loopholes/End Runs\"? (poker sites take note)

[ QUOTE ]
Ive been saying for years, Neteller needs to establish itself in other things besides gambling...Auction
site, merchants, etc....They never made a big push on
this, now they will regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. When I contacted them as a website operator to set up a merchant account a few months ago, they said they only service the gaming industry. So they didn't just fail to push into other areas, they actively turned away non-gaming merchants.

I don't know what their reasoning was, but now they will pay the price big-time.

I read something years ago, which said that online gaming would not be banned outright for fear that it would spur the creation of an entirely online currency unregulated by any government. Money laundering and international transfers through this online currency would be simple, and law enforcement would be helpless.

Neteller could have been that online currency, but they blew it. Now we will need an intermediary between our banks and Neteller, or better yet some e-cash alternative to Neteller that's NOT limited to gaming.

Good job Neteller. Way to think ahead.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But, right now, I'm less concerned about the quality of the games because I think I can still win with RB and bonuses against a bunch of Europeans anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I surprised that no one has yet mentioned that this piece of [censored] bill may have a negative effect on affiliates and rakeback, as well. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is a chance it will help affiliates...
For example, give extra incentives for all affiliates
that can get existing or new players to take the
necessary "extra steps" to fund accounts.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:00 AM

Poker sites use .net education based sites to link to their actual site. Actual site can rotate isp addresses.

Poker sites develop mail based bank whose info is on the .net site.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 AM

Sites will find a way for us to get our money in, don't worry about that. Neteller popped up when PayPal and credit cards stopped. I'm pretty sure Party Poker and others haven't set up dummy corps so they could "directly" take money from credit cards since they didn't want to seem shady and deal with the chargebacks. I see no reason they wouldn't do that if necessary, even if it was only to take payments from Neteller.

Worry about the sites not accepting US players. That would suck. I would like it known to all poker sites, I am willingly defying the laws of my country and quite proud to do it. Please use some of the massive, ridiculous amounts of money I have paid you to help fight this, and I'll gladly give you more.

Worry about the IP stuff if they decide to get heavy-handed. I don't see an easy way around it for our less intelligent friends. I don't see Comcast agreeing to block all of Costa Rica, but I suppose it is possible.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ive been saying for years, Neteller needs to establish itself in other things besides gambling...Auction
site, merchants, etc....They never made a big push on
this, now they will regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. When I contacted them as a website operator to set up a merchant account a few months ago, they said they only service the gaming industry. So they didn't just fail to push into other areas, they actively turned away non-gaming merchants.

I don't know what their reasoning was, but now they will pay the price big-time.

I read something years ago, which said that online gaming would not be banned outright for fear that it would spur the creation of an entirely online currency unregulated by any government. Money laundering and international transfers through this online currency would be simple, and law enforcement would be helpless.

Neteller could have been that online currency, but they blew it. Now we will need an intermediary between our banks and Neteller, or better yet some e-cash alternative to Neteller that's NOT limited to gaming.

Good job Neteller. Way to think ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is always anonymous egold. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post7485889
Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 AM

the problem with all of these "work arounds":

Many of these places have '1st world', big people working for them. IE US citizens, UK people who travel to the US, etc, etc...before today all of these people could say "well we're not really breaking any laws in the US".

Now, they can no longer say that.

If they begin designing anf implemetning work-arounds and all kinds of things designed to fool the US Gov't, they are admitting they are breaking the law, and are putting themselves at serious risk of federal charges. Any company with US excecutives will need to choose between flaunting the US Gov't by breaking the law - meaning those people can never come to the US, ie Lee Jones ie the new Party CEO - or they institute no work arounds and stop taking US play
Old 09-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Zod,

Calvin Ayre (Bodog) is rich and livin large in Costa Rica. He doesn't care about coming back here and neither would I if I were in his comfortable shoes.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM

what about Party's American CEO? What about Lee Jones? Do you think these people - or any 'worldly exec' - don't care about coming to the US EVER AGAIN?

Ayre may be an exception, b/c as the owner and CEO, the guy is in a great spot. however, various other executives are not in his position.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Maybe its just me, but being rich trumps living in the US.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its just me, but being rich trumps living in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zod,

Most likely the sites that survive and find a workaround for us will be owned and staffed by citizens of other countries who will gladly trade being rich or very well paid for not being able to come here. The world doesn't revolve around us unless it involves nukes.