Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 AM

Default 50NL - Full Ring - TT Hand, Overpair

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($59.40)
UTG+1 ($38.95)
MP1 ($46.00)
MP2 ($2.75)
Hero ($46.50)
CO ($42.35)
Button ($41.80) PT Stats (38/14/6)
SB ($54.75)
BB ($135.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, CO folds.

Preflop I am playing this primarily for set value. There is one opponent in the hand already, and I want to keep the blinds around. I will sometimes min raise this as a 'sweetner', but will often limp in as well.

After the button raise, and and there is another caller, this is a pretty easy call for set value, given the stack sizes....

Flop: ($7.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5, UTG folds.

The flop is pretty good for me here, while there is a flush draw and two 7's there are only 5 Cards that connected with my opponent. UTG's check leads me to think he didnot connect, or he would be into the preflop raiser. Because it is a safe flop for me I am thinking that I will bet out to find out where I am at. If I get raised I am thinking that I can let it go, and I put the Button on a bigger over pair. Worst case scenario here is a call.... I know villan is very aggressive, so a call can mean trouble here.

Turn: ($17.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Worst case scenario happens.... Now I am out of position against an aggressive opponent. Flush card just hit, and I could be up against an overpair. I decide that I have tried to take this pot and have failed.... time to check/fold. However, opponent checks behind. At this point I am thinking that he likely is afraid that I was going to check raise him with a flush...

River: ($17.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero ?????.

River comes with a blank (well 69, or 46 would finish a straight, but I think that is extremely unlikely). So I have an overpair, on a flush, paired board. Old addage comes in here "don't bet mediocre hands on the river". So I check, he bets $10.... I have shown ZERO strength since the flop. With my check I gave away that I don't have the flush, and because of this he could be trying to scope the pot with the 2/3 (ish) pot size bet on the river. However, if I put him on an overpair I am still behind. Could the villan have the flush??? An overpair??? a 7?!?!?! a busted striaght draw (JTs does seem like a reasonable hand here)????

Can I put the villan on enough hands that I beat here to call at 2/3 pot sized bet on the river with my overpair?

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Margon

Final Pot: $37.25
Old 09-29-2006, 01:06 AM

Default Re: 50NL - Full Ring - TT Hand, Overpair

Also, I don't like your overlimp preflop (and minraising here is just ugly, and I don't want to digress and bemoan the problems with minraising as a "pot sweetener") Even full ring, I like a raise preflop, you have a very strong hand, but one that that does not play well in large multiway pots.

Raise preflop.

As played I would bet the river for value, $10 seems good. Vs. a somewhat more aggressive opponent I can understand checking and calling, but I think you're missing out on value by not betting this river.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 AM

I think you call the river. As you said you have shown almost no strength. With two checks it looked like you took a stab and gave it up. I really would not be suprised to see a mediocre pair or smaller pocket pair here. In fact I would surmise you would see those more frequently here then an overpair, flush or 7.

I can see JT almost never. He reraised with 3 players in front of him. That's like a godsend for a hand like JT. You get great odds. It's possible for him to have a higher overpair here, but I find that unlikely cause call/check/bet hardly seems like a good line to take with JJ+. Then again it's micro limit, so just cause it's a good line doesn't mean its not AA.

I think betting the river for value is better.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:11 AM

grunch:

Raise pre flop. this will sort out a lot of your problems later on. Even playing for set value it's worth making the pot larger. Sets are big hands that deserve big pots so try and make the pot larger. With a set you want to get all your money in and if the pot is large to begin with on the flop it makes it a whole lot easier. Also raising will drive out hands like AJ that might flop a larger pair than yourself.

Flop - I'd consider a check raise to test the preflop raiser

River - he's betting as your turn check looks weak after you led into him on the flop. It looks like you are scared of something and he's now trying to take the pot away from you. Lead the river, you are winning here more times than not. Given he was a preflop raiser and given his betting of the hand I'd be thinking he missed with 2 big paint cards.

If you would of raised pre flop though you'd of had less trouble in playing this hand in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM

*grunch*

I stopped reading after I saw you limp preflop. Raise it up... not raising is playing scared since you are likely nervous to play the hand when overcards flop. So how do you play when overcards flop??? Bet like you have the best hand and make some tough decisions if you get some flop action. You'll never get good with postflop play unless you put yourself into those situations. Preflop you're likely best versus 1 limper though... play it that way.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Sounds like a fairly aggressive group here.

Given that this is 50NL, limper put in 0.50 plus the 0.75 from the blinds, what do you put in as a riase? 2.50, 3.00, 3.50?

Margon
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I only ever limp TT full ring UTG or UTG+1
Old 09-29-2006, 10:05 PM

This is a definite raise preflop, I'd raise it to $2.50 (4xbb +1 per limper). The hand will play out much differently, you will probably take the lead by doing this (unless he 3-bets you) instead of limp/calling his raise and then donk betting the flop into him. You played the hand pretty weakly so I think you should call the river.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:35 PM

I call the river. Stupid way for him to play an overpair. Looks more like a bluff.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 PM

The Button is a (slightly) loose agressive player taken from the stats. You can expect him to raise with a very marginal hand on the button, especially when he has some positional awareness. Your main mistake was to not raise with TT from a middle to late position basically forcing the button to raise with his playing style and a bit of a hand.
5 7 suited and 2 2 and 5 5 would all be a clear raise for him there and the same goes for 8 8 of course or 7 7. (you can't influence those two with a bet that fits your hand though)

My guess is on a flush for him here raised with suited connectors or A or K + X. The moment he hit the flush he backed down to make you bet into it so he can get more value wich you denied him with the checking. Then he had to try to get a bit more value in on the turn because he messed it up before and he bet the $10.

I really suggest that you raise middle pairs and play them strong preflop and evaluate on the flop then wether you can play them tough or have to lay them down.

edit: Forgot the answer... you fold here. You made a bet on the flop and he called into a flush draw + paired board i would suggest he has something and something in this case is more then you have. I doubt he would bet $10 if he was unsure of the outcome, he is for some reason either trying to push you out(unlikely bluff) or it is a desperate attempt for value(you are beat).