Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Chicago NOOB Seeking Restaurant Advice

I'm heading to Chicago for a long weekend w/ the gf and family for my mom's 50th birthday in a few weeks. I'm looking for some really good restaurant recommendations. I'd also like some good recs on jazz and/or blues live music spots. I'm looking for really good local spots - no chains please. Money is not really a concern. I guess I also have to try one of these Chicago deep dish pies so throw one of those at me too. We're staying at the Drake if that helps.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Chicago NOOB Seeking Restaurant Advice

I don't know if you're into this sort of place (avant garde degustation based cuisine), but Alinea is operated by a protege of Thomas Keller (of French Laundry fame). One review I read said that Grant Achatz (of Trio) had "out-Kellered Keller".
Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM

giordanos is my vote for the deep dish. lou malnatis is a close runner up. there is a gios on rush st a block off michigan that is easily walkable from the drake.

as a somewhat casual place with good food and prolly a celeb or two Rock It is a butter choice. The chicken sandwich is amazing. this is also a good spot to go out at night if youre looking for something like that. hubbard street between state and dearborn. just a couple blocks off michi.

for more fine dining, there are basically unlimited options. what type of the food are you looking for.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM

As a native Chicagoan, Giordano's is a must as their pizza is hands down the best in the city.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM

directly across the street from the drake is spiaggia, and cafe spiaggia. absolutely amazing italian food, at either >$100 prices (spiaggia) or not (cafe).

if you're looking for other amazing food, consider either tru (also quite close to the drake) or alinea (not as close, and not everyone's kind of food, though excellent). everest is also downtown, i believe, for great french food. another italian place i'm liking is osteria via stato, which does about a year old and does more family style stuff than spiaggia. narcisse, mk, tizi melloul (possibly only one l in the middle of that last word) are all also downtown and good, and in the sub $100/head section of things.

giordanos, and pequods ftw on the pizza front, though ginos is good, but different (corn meal crust). lou malnatis has a less cornmealy crust, and fresher tasting veggies than the others, always.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:16 PM

Tru, Blackbird, North Pond Cafe (nice setting in Lincoln Park), Everest, MK...I used to wait tables in Chicago and now I sell wine...I've been to most of these...they all have a different feel. I think they all have websites. Google 'em, I'm sure you'll find something appropriate.