Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Default 2 plays I love

Seems to me like the $200 games on Party have been populated lately by some tight players who will only draw to the nuts.

These players give you a lot of opportunities to pick up orphan pots because they will not call with out a legitimate draw or made hand. Lately if a board shows 2 to a flush and I have the ace of that suit, I will bet out regardless of position and usually pick up the pot (because they will usually not draw without to a non-nut flush). I also bet out a lot in position when no one else has, and will pick up quite a few pots that way. I will also pick up some pots by raising small bets.

The result of all this is having the image of a player who will lead out at a lot of pots but usually give up without an adequate hand after that. IMO having this image is perfect for out of position conflicts where you have top set or a made nut straight against a big draw. In this spot I will often lead the flop, and go for a checkraise on the turn once a blank comes. They usually cannot help themselves from betting because I could have been just leading out with nothing. Doing this on the turn is profitable as long as they will bet most of the time, partly because if you just bet the turn with some money left over, they will have the implied odds if there draw comes in and they price you in with a small bet on the river and also because you don't mind shoveling money in on the turn with just a nut straight and no redraws because you are never in too bad a shape (which isn't always the case on the flop) The key factors are that you need to be confident they will often bet because you are over-aggressive and they think you were making a phony flop bet.

In Summary, I really like:

A) Leading at a lot of flops, OOP with nut draw blockers and In position with anything.

B) Leading with top set or nut-straight and no redraws and then trying for a checkraise on the turn (provided the card is safe).

If you can create situations where you have the made hand and are shoveling money into the pot on the turn instead of the flop. This is good.

Giddy up
Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: 2 plays I love

The more I try to pick up flops in late position with anything the more I lose. I also have the image of lose and will fold turn or river without an adequate hand. What do you do when you are called in two positions flop, and someone bets half pot turn? It seems really weak to fold, but i typically don't have the hand to continue?

What about potting the Blush, as you said early, getting called. What I don't like about doing this early is that once called IF the flush card hits, my only chance to win is to pot again, early, which I WOULDN"T do with the nuts.

I prefer a check raise with blush or, if i have opponents who can fold, to wait until river and do a 3/4 bet or raise.

Anyway, just my .02.