Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Default How To Play KK while short stacked..

Blinds are 30/60
I'm the big blind with 510. I get KK
8 players. UTG1 has 1500. SB has 1000.
UTG1 limps. Everyone folds round to the SB who limps also. My option.

What should I do? All-in, or try and pull a player or 2 along.

I opted for a raise of 200, figuring my kings were good enough to try to attract action. I wanted 2 callers. Was I wrong?

I know that they should both have assumed I'd be all in on the flop so they were getting a flop for a 200 discount. But I assumed they'd be committing to calling me down if they had a hand with which they would have called me all-in preflop. If they didn't then I was most likely just getting their 200 for free unless they hit a lucky flop.

Was I a donk?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: How To Play KK while short stacked..

With your stack, I just push. At a low buy-in, you will getted called by all kinds of garbage.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:21 PM

how did you get down to 510 that early lol? umm well if you lost big hands that early pushing all in preflop might be inviting to them if they hold anything better than JQ... KJ AJ AT, all that crap I think would be willing to call you, so I would go ahead and push. I'll tell you one thing though, I doubt they are paying you all 500 on the flop unless you commit half preflop and push the other half on the flop~
Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With your stack, I just push. At a low buy-in, you will getted called by all kinds of garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM

I should've been clearer.

This was actually a live game. Blinds had been going up quite slowly. I was 2 and a half hours in. Starting stack was 1000. 2 people had been knocked out. I'd sat tight for 2 hours and 15 minutes eeking out a living with J4o and other such nonsense. I'd been playing enough hands to be perceived as not super tight. I'd lost 600 chips 2 hands previously when I had my Aces cracked by AJo (4 clubs on the board after I'd lured him all in on a flop with an Ace in it).

So I didn't fritter my money away in the early rounds. The key differentiator here is that being a live game with no rebuys people weren't apt to make silly calls for all their chips.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should've been clearer.

This was actually a live game. Blinds had been going up quite slowly. I was 2 and a half hours in. Starting stack was 1000. 2 people had been knocked out. I'd sat tight for 2 hours and 15 minutes eeking out a living with J4o and other such nonsense. I'd been playing enough hands to be perceived as not super tight. I'd lost 600 chips 2 hands previously when I had my Aces cracked by AJo (4 clubs on the board after I'd lured him all in on a flop with an Ace in it).

So I didn't fritter my money away in the early rounds. The key differentiator here is that being a live game with no rebuys people weren't apt to make silly calls for all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
In that case push.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM

That's what my buddy (SB) was saying. However, against Ax I'm 70%. Against Ax Ax I'm still 70% so I think I want 2 callers. Even (worst case scenario) I'm against Ax and 89s I'm still a little over 50% which makes pulling both players a better result that isolating against one of them. The only thing working against me is that if I let them both see the flop for only 200 more, then it's not so likely I'll get them both to call my all in if I'm beating them both (as they'll be looking sideways at each other if they haven't made their hand). But there's still a very good chance I'll get a call from one of them.

So, against common thought, it seems that trying to draw action with Kings is the right move here. Or am I missing another factor?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM

i think your missing the factor that this is about survival and not max value chipwise.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM

But the money is some way off. Focusing on survival here is just a sure way to make a victim of yourself. I love nothing more than watching a survivalist give up his blinds and his pots because he puts a premium on staying alive.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 30/60
I'm the big blind with 510. I get KK
8 players. UTG1 has 1500. SB has 1000.
UTG1 limps. Everyone folds round to the SB who limps also. My option.

What should I do? All-in, or try and pull a player or 2 along.

I opted for a raise of 200, figuring my kings were good enough to try to attract action. I wanted 2 callers. Was I wrong?

I know that they should both have assumed I'd be all in on the flop so they were getting a flop for a 200 discount. But I assumed they'd be committing to calling me down if they had a hand with which they would have called me all-in preflop. If they didn't then I was most likely just getting their 200 for free unless they hit a lucky flop.

Was I a donk?

[/ QUOTE ] How does this home tourney pay out? I think it may influence my play