Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Jamie Gold tells

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that when Gold had a good hand he would stand up and keep his hands on his cards like he is waiting for his opponents to call so he can flip his cards over. He did this when he put Cunningham all-in with his full house over his two-pair. There were a couple other times he did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not a tell, as he also did this on bluffs. He had several overlapping actions that he used with both bluffs and good hands which made it somewhat difficult for players to pick up on his other distinctive tells. Just as Hellmuth kept talking about how he placed his chips out as being his major tell, but I never noticed this to be anything significant. Meanwhile, the elephant in the room was simply (most of) his actual words.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM

I don't know if you can really get tells from limited hands from espn. Everytime that he was quiet, which wasn't often he was bluffing. I saw alot of his big pot winning hands and he got so lucky.

If someone had a pair he had an over pair, he'd call an all in after trying to steal from a short stack get priced in with something like 57o and would flop a straight to knock someone out with a pair.

The guy makes me sick when he said things like he had allen on tilt. Allen made some big, correct laydowns and had allen had half the luck that gold had, allen would have crushed the final table.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
had allen had half the luck that gold had, allen would have crushed the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what I saw on the ESPN b'dcast, that is so true. He did not catch any breaks.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 AM

I think gold's douchebagginess (douchebagitude? whatever) is best exemplified by two hands. The hand where he hits the set of 8s against Cunningham and the AK/KT hand where Wasicka sucked out on him. The former has already been mentioned. In the latter, Gold stars cheering himself, then starts whining when he sees the ten. Wasicka doesn't react at all.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Gold did get a lot of luck. Anyone who wins about any tourney gets lucky. I would say in the hands I saw that it appeared he was on the heater of all heaters.

He also did some things that were borderline unethical. He may have cheated who knows. He may have actually taken the WMD out of Iraq. He might in fact BE Osama Bin Laden.

But he played some awesome big stack poker. Even his table talk was pretty good.

I just honestly think some of us are getting our feelings for him confused with his poker abilities.

That doesn't mean I think he's just an awesome poker player. I think he played pretty good for most parts. Caught a great amount of cards. He talked the talk and was able to make an enormous amount of enemies.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you can really get tells from limited hands from espn. Everytime that he was quiet, which wasn't often he was bluffing. I saw alot of his big pot winning hands and he got so lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the PPV there were stretches of hands where he totally shut down and wasn't playing pots or saying anything. I think Gold's main genious was that he seemed (or is) unstable at his core. Sometimes he was manic, sometimes he was asleep. Sometimes he was playing so obviously and was an apparent tellbox. Sometimes he threw in a really good play. Sometimes he loved his hand and got excited, sometimes he had a monster but was somehow genuinely disinterested. Sometimes he really wanted to bust somebody, sometimes he genuinely did not want to bust somebody.

It's hard to play against somebody when you can't wrap your head around their motivations or thought processes. You end up stubbing your toe. And if they're running hot and are aggressive, then you lose your toe.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM

Gold is a donk. End Thread
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM

It's very easy for you guys to say he has tells when you can ses his hole cards. I found his talk and body language very confusing. He was running hot which made it even harder for others to tell what he really had. This is one of the reasons that you should pay no attention to ppl's "tells" if you aren't pretty sure what they mean.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 PM

I suspect most people who try for reads were just thrown a bit by the amount of bizarre behaviors Gold exhibited.

But, that act won't work repeatedly because top pros are going to look at the tapes and see patterns that Gold doesn't realize he's displaying.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? He's that lucky because he won some 3 to 1s? You obviously missed some of moneymaker's winnings 88 vs AA allin on flop or Raymer's quick calls with 1010 vs AA allin pf. He luck boxed the 78 hand vs Prahlad but that was for an insignificant amount of chips. He won a 50/50 with Cunningham. And he got lucky that someone folded a SF draw but he was bluffing and got caught and won with an OESD, god I've never seen that before????

He outplayed people and did more than some of the other winners have done over the last couple of years. Didn't Hachem luck box the Q8 hand vs 99 to stay in the tourney? I don't think Jamie is the best player ever but I don't think he was a total luck box either. He outplayed his opponents from time to time and had a good run of cards. Thing is, they showed most of the hands he was involved in, they didn't show the many hands that were decided PF nor the hands that were "boring." They showed the champ in action. Don't blame Gold, blame ESPN. Also don't blame Gold for pulling obvious LRR and getting overpushed by weaker hands every time. They never believed him even when he had it because of how he was playing. Obviously a great way to play when you have a huge lead.

[/ QUOTE ] Im pretty sure he quickly called the all in with the oesd and hit? Also Raymer was getting good odds on the TT and was a big stack. Were not saying Gold sucked out a lot but he got lucky because he got a SICK run of cards. Also I wanted to kick him in the face when he whined like a little girl when the T hit vs his AK. Like its sooo horrible for someone to get lucky vs him, like he never got lucky vs anyone.