Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: 2/4 turn semi bluff raise

Fine but that kind of player will be more likely to respond correctly (3betting) by accident.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM

I would not have raised this on the turn with villian 3 betting the flop and betting out the turn he is not going anywhere. So I believe this was not a semi-bluff as there was no fold equity.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not have raised this on the turn with villian 3 betting the flop and betting out the turn he is not going anywhere. So I believe this was not a semi-bluff as there was no fold equity.

Peace,
Mygtar

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian checkraised the flop. I dunno, I find we don't get threebet by this guy without a big hand in this spot usually. Perhaps, I don't get into this spot against this player enough though.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] really going to scare this guy? If he c/r the flop with a J, or middle pair, or two pair or better, he's never folding, and he will occasionally 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought raising on the turn would make villain put me on an overpair, but I guess he would have to be pretty weak to think that. I think any reasonable opponent would fold a pair other than jacks here.. no?

I am struggling to find profitable moments to apply the turn semi bluff raise. I'm assuming this play is a key component in a winner's bag of tricks. Am I wrong? I recall sklansky advocating this play in several scenarios in HEPFAP, but maybe these were fundamentally different from my example. Can anyone present a few guidelines as to what kind of scenario this play is profitable in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is folding anything they check raised the flop with here. He's never folding a J, and he probably won't even fold 88.

As for the other poster, I think folding to the flop c/r is a very viable option. I didn't mention it because the OP called. I'd probably fold to the c/r on this board unless I had a read not to.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Giving up on the flop is fine here. Don't make a habit of giving up on flops though :-p

As someone pointed out, the 3s is the least scary card ever, a good hand reader will correctly put you on a flush draw a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is 38/11/0.96 after 44 hands

probably not a good hand reader

[/ QUOTE ]

he's also not going to realize that you are "representing" an over pair and call down.

1. he's never folding a better hand
2. he probably has a 3betting hand more often than not.
3. he cc in the SB, meaning on average, his hand is better than a BB hand would be.
4. The 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] isn't going to make him think you are winning. He can still beat AK, so he iwll call down.

someone asked about HFAP, and turn semibluff raises, they only work if your opponent doesn't suck. If he doesn't know what your turn raise means, he won't react how you want him to. Save the fancy plays for ppl that actually have a clue what's going on.

But even a good player that CC in the SB and c/r that flop isn't folding on that turn raise on that card.