Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: River play? Kings 5/10nl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold both. I like how you played except for preflop with AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it preflop is usually a fold there...but even if you have a semi-aggressive CO who is opening frequently?

[/ QUOTE ]Then reraise or fold, I doubt he's opening worse aces which is the only time I wuold think calling is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends a lot on how much the blinds defend. If they are tight, he is likely open-raising from the cutoff with any ace or king.

In fact, I want to amend my earlier statement -- I hadn't realized that the preflop raise was in the cutoff. This could easily be A5, which is why he is no longer trying to get to a cheap showdown.

But I'll stick with my comment that hero should have put in a bet of his own at some point and not played so passively.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Bet more on the flop. Such a draw-ful board deserves a pot-sized bet, at least. When all the draws get there on the turn, you might stick another bet out there, maybe a little over half pot, and be done with it. In a reraised pot you can worry alot less about draws. I guess you could blockbet the turn for like 1/2 pot to set the price of showdown, but I don't mind checking again

Hand 2: Several people have said that they like how you played it (except preflop). I don't get it -- you flopped trips and you never made a peep! Sure, your kicker is a little weak, but calling it down isn't the answer unless villain is pretty passive. Raise on the flop. If he just calls, then he is worried about his kicker, too, or else he figures you are FOS. If he 3-bets the flop, fold. If he calls but bets the turn, tough choice. If he calls and checks the turn, check behind, but then call his river bet.
You're simply overvalueing your hand here. If you raise the flop you do NOT get called by KK here, and will make less money off worse aces which will then get scared.
As played, I think the turn hit his QQ or AQ, or maybe he just knows his AK is good, or maybe he thinks his KK is good. You've been so passive, he certainly doesn't have much of a read. He bet the river like he is no longer looking for a cheap showdown, so you're probably behind. But think how sick you'll feel to find that 5 just hit his Presto. Feel sick that a 2 outter hit when I made sure every street was bet? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2006, 02:10 PM

Maybe i suck too cause before readin yves and your answer my reasonming was pretty much the same as you.

I fold hand 1 and make a crying call on hand 2 and expect to win maybe 50%
Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Requin, I don't understand your reasoning, here. You said my approach will make less money off of worse aces. However, your approach is to call the flop and turn and then fold the river. If you think worse aces are in villains hand range, and I agree that they are, then you have to call the river if you've played passively throughout. You've given villain no reason to think his bad ace isn't worth betting for value.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 the way its played i call the river raise. though i would have bet more

hand 2 i like it except for preflop. fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why you want to call this river... Explain please?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 the way its played i call the river raise. though i would have bet more

hand 2 i like it except for preflop. fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why you want to call this river... Explain please?

[/ QUOTE ]

because any hand i expect that beats me except maybe Tx bets the turn

because our river bet looks weak and semi-for value and i dont think our hand can be defined as strong as KK in villains eyes
Old 09-28-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Requin, I don't understand your reasoning, here. You said my approach will make less money off of worse aces. However, your approach is to call the flop and turn and then fold the river. If you think worse aces are in villains hand range, and I agree that they are, then you have to call the river if you've played passively throughout. You've given villain no reason to think his bad ace isn't worth betting for value.

[/ QUOTE ]Because the river came a flush card, and he still bet into you. If it had been a blank and he kept betting I would call it, but since that card should scare him and he's STILL betting I tihnk we can fold.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Because the river came a flush card, and he still bet into you. If it had been a blank and he kept betting I would call it, but since that card should scare him and he's STILL betting I tihnk we can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.