Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 PM

Default OT: Jerry McGuire Moment regarding our current forum

So AMT's post on hand posting got me to thinking. I think we have all been too accustomed to how a forum board works and we are cramming a square peg into a round hole. I develop websites for a living (poker is my hobby) and one thing I think some of my clients fall into is they let the technology drive the user experience instead of the other way around.

My thoughts on an ideal poker forum:
Upload 1 or more HH and provide necessary meta game info. Not talking about using a 3rd party to put it in the format, talking about actually having the server process the data similar to poker tracker. This would allow for not just presenting the OP hands and thoughts, but also allow for searches, filters and analysis across other HHs. You only play the $109s and could care less about the $6.50s, just apply a filter.

There could also be a rating system. No more wasting time, clicking on a BBV post, or a should I fold KK here and only having 1 reply of "in before lock". Apply a filter of hand posts >$55, blinds > level 4 and a rating of 3 bananas. Not only would you avoid the crap posts that aren't even at your level but you will see the interesting hand that was posted 6 weeks ago and has been off the front page for quite some time - sort of like an automatic digest. We get the good intentions of assigning 1 person to do a weekly digest but that is a lot of work for one person. Why not make it everyone's responsibility, you like something rate it high, you don't give it a zero.

Have the replayer integrated into the forum. Allow the OP and members to put comments in the player. Maybe have the ICM calcs in the replayer as well.

I am sure we all have a ton more ideas if we were to just think about it. Now the issue is (besides the time and effort it would take to build a site like this) how would we keep it 2+2? I don't want to do a forum like this somewhere else, but how do you get 2+2 to take this community to the next level? Do you think they would allow us to build something and then the STTF could pilot it?

I guess I am rambling, but I really think we could revolutionize how people participate in a poker community forum .

I digress
~Teck
Old 09-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: OT: Jerry McGuire Moment regarding our current forum

"These fish have manners. These fish have manners. In fact, they're coming with me. I'm starting a new company, and the fish will come with me. You can call me sentimental. The fish -- they're coming with me."
Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 PM

You had me at "square peg".
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM

Hey Tech, I appreciate the time you took putting together a well thought out post. And I agree - today's technology certainly would permit an enhanced experience around the sharing of knowledge on our personal quests.

But...STTF isn't your audience for this. I'm shipping you over to "About the Forums". A better place to get the attention of the people that could bring about these types of changes.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:26 PM

Teck,

Your post is very similar to what I've described to a number of people regarding key elements required for a really great poker community site.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM

so is there a way to do this. Are there real 2+2 people to talk with (aside from volunteer mods). I could turn it into a source forge project because I am sure there are other 2+2 members that have development/designer skills that would contribute. I was thinking taking baby steps and get a working prototype up and then use it for 1 forum. I am a SNGer so the STTF is my home, but we could use any forum, maybe a new test forum and then role it out for real.

I could work on this as a seperate site, but the thing that makes 2+2 great is obviously the members and would hate to try and compete with a community that has made me a winning poker player.

~Teck
Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 AM

This is a great idea. You should get in touch with Mr. Now and do this and make mad loot.