FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Opinion Needed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am currently stuck in Iraq for another 2 months.
My question is Why am I here in the name of "Freedom"

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you already know that you aren't there for that. And if you aren't, then the truth about what you ARE there for is very, very ugly.

This realization is the hardest step, and it takes courage to face it.

Next step, for actual war reasons:
http://www.veteransforpeace.org/war_...ket_033103.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

For God's sake Nielsio, he's got it tough enough, can you save your rubbish for us stateside please?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a very constructive argument. Try again.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing, I'm imploring you to stifle your need to enlighten a serviceman with your truth, who may very well be oftentimes in harms way. If you believe what you say about war, fine, but what good comes from possibly affecting a serviceman's morale who's presently in the sh**?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh.. stop comitting atrocities for pay and false beliefs?

Also: this guy comes forward with clear doubts about these important things. He is looking for acknowledgment, and he is very clearly not getting that from his surroundings (duh.. it's the military).
Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My name is Joe.
I spend most of my time in the B&M room.
I have a question after reading the news today.

I am currently stuck in Iraq for another 2 months.
My question is Why am I here in the name of "Freedom"

I ask this because of the news today I got mad.
1) New York plans ban on trans-fat

I believe liberals have the majority in NY.

Does this mean that someone in the U.S.A. will not be able to buy a cheeseburger or fries, maybe some mozzarella sticks or a basket of chicken fingers and fries at their local bar.

I'm in Iraq in the name of "freedom" back home It's going to be illegal to eat a .... cheeseburger ??????????

2) I read the yahoo article on this being banned book week.
I wish you could have seen the list of "Classics" some schools have banned because they feel the content is too harsh.......

Banned Books Week was started in 1982 by the American Library Association, the American Booksellers Association, the Association of American Publishers and the National Association of College Stores to raise awareness of censorship problems in the United States and abroad. For the past 22 years, it has remained the only national celebration of the freedom to read.

I'm in Iraq in the name of "Freedom"
Back home Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, heh even Harry Potter "classics growing up" are being banned. Sounds like freedom to me.

And the online gambling ban of course
I'm in Iraq in the name of "freedom"
Gov want's to tell me how I can spend my money while i'm in my jammies back home.

I'll make a wager that this one never comes into law.

Help me people when I get back in 2 months I don't know what to expect. I might be more free if I sneak into turkey.

The question is Why are we losing so many freedoms that we cherish. Every day more and more are being taken away from us.... Yet i'm stuck in a foreign country in the name of "freedom" that I don't have anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your service and may your higher authority bring you home safely.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) New York plans ban on trans-fat

Does this mean that someone in the U.S.A. will not be able to buy a cheeseburger or fries, maybe some mozzarella sticks or a basket of chicken fingers and fries at their local bar.

I'm in Iraq in the name of "freedom" back home It's going to be illegal to eat a .... cheeseburger ??????????

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't. It only means that a non-poisonous kind of oil will be used while cooking said fries. The kind that Wendy's uses already voluntarily.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what good comes from possibly affecting a serviceman's morale who's presently in the sh**?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about to encourage him to save his skin rather than be a dead hero in service to a lie? They need to hear that we don't expect them to do their duty; only the chicken hawks do. The volunteer army is way too obedient. The Man couldn't pull this with draftees.

And also, he asked. Remember?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what good comes from possibly affecting a serviceman's morale who's presently in the sh**?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about to encourage him to save his skin rather than be a dead hero in service to a lie? They need to hear that we don't expect them to do their duty; only the chicken hawks do. The volunteer army is way too obedient. The Man couldn't pull this with draftees.

And also, he asked. Remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we have no chance of winning the GWOT.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell is *winning the GWOT"? When people refer to staying in Iraq (or anywhere else, I realize the GWOT is not just Iraq) until we win, what are they referring to? That one day the muslims that hate us will just wake up and say "You know, those US troops that cause more death everyday and are 1,000 of miles away from there homes trying to force us to do what they want aren't so bad. And you know that American government that has been intervening in our politics for the last 80 years for it's own self benefit are good guys too. Tell ya what, let's just hug, shake hands, and embrace democracy! Who cares if It'll probably be in the form of a puppet regime?"

Seriously, I want to know, what's victory at this point?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell is *winning the GWOT"? When people refer to staying in Iraq (or anywhere else, I realize the GWOT is not just Iraq) until we win, what are they referring to? That one day the muslims that hate us will just wake up and say "You know, those US troops that cause more death everyday and are 1,000 of miles away from there homes trying to force us to do what they want aren't so bad. And you know that American government that has been intervening in our politics for the last 80 years for it's own self benefit are good guys too. Tell ya what, let's just hug, shake hands, and embrace democracy! Who cares if It'll probably be in the form of a puppet regime?"

Seriously, I want to know, what's victory at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Victory is leaving when there is a stable Iraq that is able to govern herself and defend herself against the insurgency.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It only means that a non-poisonous kind of oil will be used while cooking said fries. The kind that Wendy's uses already voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll decide what oil I want my fries cooked in, thank you very much. Pass the beer and cigarettes.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It only means that a non-poisonous kind of oil will be used while cooking said fries. The kind that Wendy's uses already voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll decide what oil I want my fries cooked in, thank you very much. Pass the beer and cigarettes.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre not deciding right now.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Victory is leaving when there is a stable Iraq that is able to govern herself and defend herself against the insurgency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not BEING an insurgency might also help.