Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Pinnacle Television Prop -- Does this seem like a lock?

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I think we're talking about ABC brining in nearly 20 million new viewers to this time slot, and I don't think they have done nearly enough promotion to do that. I watch more tv than the typical person, and I hadn't even heard of the show until I saw it on Pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a bunch of ads for it. It stuck in my mind, because I have been wondering how this show ever got a green light. It looks absolutely terrible.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I think we're talking about ABC brining in nearly 20 million new viewers to this time slot, and I don't think they have done nearly enough promotion to do that. I watch more tv than the typical person, and I hadn't even heard of the show until I saw it on Pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a bunch of ads for it. It stuck in my mind, because I have been wondering how this show ever got a green light. It looks absolutely terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.. must have seen the ad for it 3 times while catching the Lost 1 hour recap-summary... this show looks like pure crap. I dont know about the bet, but I'd say anyone caught watching this show needs to be slapped.

GL
Old 09-28-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

note - I do suspect that the Survivor bet is probably a good one.

The Ugly Betty show is bein 'organized' or something by Salma Hayek.
It is a pretty darned popular show in Latin America.

As you may have noticed, there are a lot more latinos in the U.S. lately so I suspect many of them will be very interested in checking out the American version of this show which I believe may have originated in Columbia.

When I visit my GF (originally from Peru) at her house with her Mom and her brother they are frequently watching this show and enjoying it. Although they aren't exactly laughing their heads off. I don't know if it's a #1 show exactly. But it seems to have taken off pretty decently and it's on during a prime time-slot on whatever U.S. Latino satellite TV channel it's on (I'm pretty sure it's on Univision).

It looks absolutely idiotic to me although I admittedly can't understand any of it.
But they definitely dig it and it's proven to be a popular enough concept to get a shot in the U.S.

I have no idea if Latinos are appropriately represented in Nielsen ratings or not nor do I really know if they will be THAT interested in watching the American version in the first place.

Even if you combined all the potential for UB and viewed everything EXTREMELY optimistically it still seems really unlikely that it could actually top Survivor though.

From the watch/pass poll that Lori posted I see that UB is 66/34 while the heavily promoted Justice (which looks kind of 'meh' to me) was only 41/59 and the excessively hyped Standoff (which looks awful) got 17/83.
Interesting.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:22 AM

the big O (oprah) was promoting ugly betty with salma hayek and the producer of the show. The producer of the show has been a guest of Opra's before for some other reason.

Not sure if that's relevant to your discussion, but Oprah has a lot of sway. I can't find the numbers for her book club members in the past/future, but her promotions tend to hook in an audience.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 AM

I'm not going to bet either side of this, but my fondness for "special bets" (Which I am a long term winner at unlike my handicapping) can't keep me away from google.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>Which of these new fall TV shows do you think will be the best?

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (34.4%)
Heroes (13.4%)
Friday Night Lights (13.1%)
Brothers &amp; Sisters (12.4%)
Ugly Betty (12.4%)
The Nine (7.8%)
30 Rock (6.6%)

Total votes: 590
</pre><hr />

http://www2.jsonline.com/news/newspoll.asp?poll=6486

Lori
Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Also, the very first poll that I posted was a "Second place" poll, implying that the webmaster thought Survivor was nailed on.

Lori
Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 AM

Last one for now, lest people work out that I'm a polltard.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> View Poll Results: Which Shows Are You Looking Forward To? (Vote For As Many As You Like)
Brothers and Sisters (Sep. 24th on ABC) … starring Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Sally Field 24 23.76%
The Class (September 18th on CBS) … starring Jason Ritter, David Keith, Andrea Anders 10 9.90%
Heroes (September 25th on NBC) … starring Greg Grunberg (Alias) and Adrian Pasdar 29 28.71%
Jericho (September 20th on CBS) … starring Skeet Ulrich and Gerald McCraney 17 16.83%
Kidnapped (September 20th on NBC) … starring Jeremy Sisto, Timothy Hutton, Dana Delaney… 8 7.92%
Men In Trees (Preview September 12th on ABC) … starring Anne Heche and John Amos 9 8.91%
The Nine (October 4th on ABC) … starring Scott Wolf and Tim Daly 17 16.83%
Six Degrees (September 21st on ABC) … starring Hope Davis, Erika Christensen, Jay Hernandez 18 17.82%
Standoff (Debuted September 5th on FOX) … starring Ron Livingston 4 3.96%
Ugly Betty (September 28th on ABC) ... starring America Ferrera and Vanessa Williams 43 42.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

</pre><hr />

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42360

Lori
Old 09-29-2006, 08:16 PM

Was very close, but Survivor won, 16.60 million viewers vs. 16.09 for Ugly Betty.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/mw/20060929/115957969500.html