Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 AM

Default Re: EVERY final table hand shown was with Jamie Gold...

My God Cunningham read him like a picture book.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:19 AM

What I found to be most bothersome about the whole focus on Jamie Gold was the intro to the final show. The whole "Jamie Gold you've made it this far, and you've had the chip lead." " Are you ready to win the biggest prize in sports?" "Blah, blah, blah."

It's the World Series of Poker, not Jamie Gold's World Series of Poker. Granted it was his to lose at that point, but still, I think it was overdone, and that that kind of hype was not neceassarry, and seemed disrespectful to everyone at the table, as well as to the event itself.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gold would have gotten a warning if anything was done. Nobody wants to see players removed from the final table for something like that even if it's just for 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with this, if the WSOP has instituted a rule for reasons of not prejudicing play, I have no problem enforcing it in this case, whether I like the rule or not. It's different than the swearing rule to me, and if Gold can get away with it, I believe others should get to also.

Also, where were all the penalties for telling somone your hand? I saw at least twice where he said his hand, if not exactly, he stated the value of his holding. This uneven application of stupid rules is bad for poker.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 AM

I covered a final table in an earlier WSOP event where this happened and here is what the floorman told me:

It is up to the discretion of the floor to decide if showing the hand was intentionally done to gain an advantage or accidentally shown becuase of an innocent mistake. If it was an innocent mistake, the player would receive a warning with no penalty. If it was deemed to be tactical, the player would receive a penalty. There is no way the hand would be mucked, though.

Keep in mind every floorman rules differently though. It seemed like Gold did it accidentally, so if someone called floor he would probably just get a warning.

And Gold was shown 90% of the time because he was in 90% of the pots. Nothing they can do about that.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It seemed like Gold did it accidentally, so if someone called floor he would probably just get a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell were you watching? That wasn't an accident. He showed a jack because it may have completed a straight.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I covered a final table in an earlier WSOP event where this happened and here is what the floorman told me:

It is up to the discretion of the floor to decide if showing the hand was intentionally done to gain an advantage or accidentally shown becuase of an innocent mistake. If it was an innocent mistake, the player would receive a warning with no penalty. If it was deemed to be tactical, the player would receive a penalty. There is no way the hand would be mucked, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been at a number of tables where a player intentionally exposed a card to gain an advantage, and every time the player was just given a warning.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been at a number of tables where a player intentionally exposed a card to gain an advantage, and every time the player was just given a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but I;m guessing this wasn;t the first time he had done this over the course of the WSOPME, and if so, after the first warning, penalties are the next step.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Over here in the east, at least eastern canada and toronto, they have hardline rule that under no circumstances can anyone show their hand to anyone else at any point while still in the action.

If you do, your hand is dead. Immediately. No further discussion.

Heres a hardcore example of this and how its applied to our area. At a CPT event i played in couple of months ago everyone folds to the button. We were just about to go on break after our 6th hour of play.

He puts in a raise to something like 4600 trying to steal the blinds and anticipating they wont put up a fight just before the break. He failed to realize that the BB was a shortstack and was almost pot commited anyways with the BB and SB in.

Sure enuff the BB goes allin, and he has total of about 4800. As he pushes is obvious its an automatic call by the button, and i think that he even thought that the button original raise had him covered already, so he flips up his hand.

No matter what the button has he has to call the remaning 200 on what is now a 10000+ pot, but he was on a total steal with rags and failed to recognize the BB was such a potcommited short stack.

Technically there is still action on him cuz he hasnt called the extra 200, and since the other player flipped his cards he calls the floor stating the guy exposed his cards during the hand.

Sure enough, thats what the floorman ruled, button wins the pot uncontested, and the BB gets his extra 200 back.

No negiotating, no pleading, no warning, no budging as to what the floorman deems to be "fair" in his opinion. The hand is dead end of story.

And that is how its played over here.

Its frustrating for the other player in this case, but at least we all play by the rules and they don't get bent...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I found to be most bothersome about the whole focus on Jamie Gold was the intro to the final show. The whole "Jamie Gold you've made it this far, and you've had the chip lead." " Are you ready to win the biggest prize in sports?" "Blah, blah, blah."

It's the World Series of Poker, not Jamie Gold's World Series of Poker. Granted it was his to lose at that point, but still, I think it was overdone, and that that kind of hype was not neceassarry, and seemed disrespectful to everyone at the table, as well as to the event itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast Norman Chad kept Alan Cunningham as his pick for the win the whole time. I mean c'mon he's ALAN CUNNINGHAM!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM

Quick question, who had a higher percentage of the final table chips at the beginning of the final day--Greg Raymer or Jamie Gold.