Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 AM

Default new to 2+2, trying to increase postflop aggression

Hello there, first post on 2+2. Been reading here for a few weeks now. I've read close to all of the 2+2 publications from limit to NLHE.

I use PT and have about 10k hands telling me that I'm a 2BB/100 hands at up to $1/2 (losing at $2/4 after only a few sessions), my postflop aggression is a bit low from what most people around suggest.

I'm trying to come up with ways to increase this. I understand that betting out more and raising do this, but am wondering how do I go about finding out what kind of situations am I missing out on?

Obviously you wouldn't be able to tell me without some hand analysis, was basically wondering if there were some TYPICAL passive mistakes that would lead to these numbers.

22/10/1.2 is me so far after 10k hands.

Thanks for any help.

A new 2+2'r hehe,
Whisky D
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Default Re: new to 2+2, trying to increase postflop aggression

1.2 is not bad at all for how many hands you're playing. if you're doing ok, then keep doing what you're doing. keep reading the boards and see if you can spot situations in which you'd tend to call, but people advocate a raise.

the myriad of postflop situations makes it very difficult to give you blanket rules of when to raise. you said you've read almost all of the 2p2 publications. in that case, you've read sshe already and should already be aware of many general situations in which to raise.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 AM

Welcome.

There really aren't any mistakes that every noob makes that I could just list for you so you could fix them.

The only way to find out what you do wrong is to post hands where you think you may have been too passive.

Try not to get so caught up in stats, it's much more productive to think about WHY you should be playing more aggressive as opposed to "I need to raise more often get my aggression factor to x.x."
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM

As others have said, its bad to think of stats as something you need to fix. In general, a lot of 2+2ers (including myself) need to understand that calling is okay in certain instances. It sounds like what you are doing is working. Post some hands that you think are interesting, then you will get more complete answers.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Its not just betting and raising. Folding more and calling less will also increase your aggression rating.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM

all good answers, especially Gazzbut's.

but those numbers look similar to what I was when I started out, so I'll give you some specifics that related to me and might apply to you:

- raise flop for free Turn
- isolation flop/turn raises
- do you continuation bet (can get trickier at low limits since pots so multiway and CB is less successful, but often gets you to river on free turn)
- missing river value bets especially if your opponents are really bad/passive
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 PM

don't forget cheap showdown plays: raise flop, bet turn, check river.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Folding more and calling less sounds like something I should look into hehe.

Yeah, I inderstand that "stats" aren't for everybody, that there are many styles. I think my game would due for a bit higher aggression after the flop tho. I think it might be the "omg, he raised the turn, but I think my hand is good, so now I gotta check/call down" Sometimes I put them to the test with reraises which I'm sure everybody would say is needed. Starting to learn how to play the players even tho it's online.

I appreciate the advice and will post a couple hands as soon as I figure out how hehe. ttyl,

Whisky_D
Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it might be the "omg, he raised the turn, but I think my hand is good, so now I gotta check/call down" Sometimes I put them to the test with reraises which I'm sure everybody would say is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a broad, dangerous statement to be making, and i'd be cautious in where and when you do this. at small stakes, a lot of people do mean business when they're raising the turn. this could easily lead to spewing, knock out bluffers that would have otherwised continued bluffing while drawing to very few outs, or causing people to lay down weak top pairs.

when you decide to get aggressive, you need to find the fine line of raises and bets that will get called by hands you're beating. think about board texture, your opponents' tendencies, and your own image.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM

[quote}
when you decide to get aggressive, you need to find the fine line of raises and bets that will get called by hands you're beating. think about board texture, your opponents' tendencies, and your own image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that, thanks all.

Whisky