Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP ME Broadcast on ESPN thread (9/26) (Final Table)

[ QUOTE ]
So far we haven't seen much of what we didn't see on the PPV. Only a couple of hole cards we didn't know at the time, mostly from Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main one was when Gold had the 52, hit the straight and Allen told him that he thought he had 52 and Gold says you got me. Live, we never saw that he did have 52. Pretty funny.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heard an interview with Wasicka (I think on Rounders) and he said he thought Gold had a better flush draw. He doesn't regret the fold at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Wasicka did say he feared the higher spade draw. It was on The Circuit (9/16/06 episode). I believe Wasicka took 2 minutes or so before folding, if I remember the PPV correctly . . .
Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 AM

A few thoughts:

1- Like I thought watching the PPV broadcast. Gold is way readable and the other players failed to use that information. I didn't think he played great, but they played, for the most part, worse.

2- While Gold played ok on the FT, he won the tournament the days prior by just being an insane card rack. Give anybody the hands he had the day prior, they win as well.

3- Gold is still giant ass.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

>> Chan had complete access to Gold and IMO should never have been let inside the ropes. Totally unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, WTF, they just make up the rules as they go to suit ESPN. This was seriously messed up.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to add that I don't believe Jamie Gold is a bad poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is playing pretty meh this episode though, possibly the result of running to good and getting overconfident.

[/ QUOTE ]

What significant mistakes has he made?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that on the flop checkraise with air, the only thing he could have done more was wear an "I don't have an ace" sign on his head.

[/ QUOTE ]He dark checked preflop on that hand. People often do that with pocket pairs. I think he was trying to represent a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was absolutely trying to represent a set here, this is exactly how he played his set of deuces earlier.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was rooting for AC...or anyone other than Gold. I don't know why, I just don't like the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its because of his angle shooting? Or his bad play?

My favorite Gold moment was when he called with QQ, Lee raised from the SB with JJ, Gold comes over the top for 4 million more, Lee thinks and pushes, Gold instacalls and shouts "I trapped him!"

What an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very poor sportsmanship. He also over-rates his play. On Rounders he insisted that he had Lee and knew it, but Lee could have easily had KK, AA or AK... and his call was just too quick to have ruled out these hands. I'm not saying he shouldn't have called, but it seemed like a bad play the way he insta-called with only QQ -- he loses that hand he is no longer chip leader.

I also got a kick out of his comments when he 'trapped' Wasicka with the AK vs. KT hand. He played the hand fairly standard (I think it's 50/50 for raising in the blind with AK; he checked), and most of us would check to the initial raiser with AK on the K high board. However, he was so proud of himself that he trapped Wasicka. Wasicka ended up sucking out, but still... the poor guy has his tournament life on the line and he's jumping around high-fiving Chan.

* I will say (you can read my post on the subject) that these comments were not as obvious when watching it live. Not sure if I missed them, or if the ESPN close-ups and cuts make him look worse than he really was.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For this to be completely true one of Wasicka's opponents exact hand must be 9 4 .

You bring up a good point about the TV editing, I like you fell asleep before AC's bustout during the PPV. It just goes to show how long these final tables take. Before this year's WSOP I only saw final tables on TV and assumed they lasted the same length of time as my STTs. I watched a final table in person this year, shoutout to my buddy Kevin! Airing Oct. 10 on ESPN, You're my boy Bleu!!!!

Anyways coming into that final table I knew nothing about how long it would take and was surprised they reserved a whole day for it. Carlos Mortensen busted out fairly early but after that most of the tournament was played down to 6 players. For about 7 hours they played down to 6 players, than with 6 remaining players it got down to heads up in less than 2 hours. So 1 hour of coverage on ESPN of a final table in no way tells the story. Players will sit and think about what to do for more than 3 minutes, of course this would not be riveting TV as it bored the hell out of me watching it live.

This may have taken Wasicka a very long time to decide, also here's another reason Jamie Gold is a D-bag, if I'm Paul Wasicka I'm telling him to shut the F up! I might even say listen [censored] I have 8-7 of spades do you want me to call? Than just shut the [censored] up and let me decide if I'm folding this or not. Gold harping on him and being so obnoxious is just so irritating, it totally classifies him as what he is an amateur

[/ QUOTE ]

It took at least 2-3 minutes. I hate to continue to harp on the editing, but since ESPN made it look like he folded in 20-30 seconds and during half this time they showed Gold talking it looked worse than it really was. Gold did say those things, but in the context of the entire time Paul was deliberating it didn't appear as bad when watching it on PPV.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it interesting that the only supporters Gold had there rooting for him were his mother, Johnny Chan, and that huge tatooed biker looking dude (bodyguard?). He must be as big a douche in person as he is on TV to not have any friends.

That call to his father at the end was so contrived it was pathetic. I'll bet his father never sees a dime of that money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest issue with all the Gold hate is that I've never understood how a person can so strongly dislike someone that they've never met.

Now I understand. I say this because my dislike of you (Lawman007) grows stronger with each stupid assumption you make in every thread about Gold.

I'm to the point that I hope bad things happen to you. I'm the type of guy who generally harbors no ill will toward anyone, but you're level of stupidity is so overwhelming I find myself hoping you never reproduce. If that is accomplished through some terrible accident involving a Lorena Bobbit and a blender. . .well, I suspect that news will make my day a bit brighter.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow when I watched it live it wasn't clear that AC had played so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you think of the hand where AC flopped the straight-flush draw, checked the flop, bet $1 million on the turn with the same draw, and then checked the river when he made his hand? Yes, he was counting on Gold to bet for him so he could raise, but he sure played this about as passively as possible and missed a big opportunity to put Gold to the test. In the e-Dog/Gavin Smith/Grinder school of poker, Mr. Gold would have been seriously put to the test here with a big bet on the river. AC had to figure that there was a reasonable chance that Gold had some type of hand -- maybe even a T (there was a paired T on the board) given his call on the turn. The opportunity was too great to pass up a bet on the river, IMHO. Of course, I might have done the same thing if playing the hand live <G>.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
everytime allen makes a straight or flush vs gold, the board is paired and prevents a huge gold trainwreck

[/ QUOTE ]

That did seem like a big hand for AC to make a couple million in chips. I really wonder why Gold didn't bet there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why didn't AC bet there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your talking about the hand where Cunningham had 98 and made a straight on the river against Gold's pair of Queens. If so, Cunningham didn't bet because he was giving Gold a chance to bluff on the river- something Gold had obvioulsy been doing during the whole final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can argue all day about the passive way Cunningham played the hand, but there can be no arguing about the way ESPN butchered the coverage of this hand. Chad simply stated that Cunningham won the hand and put a small dent in Gold's chips, but never even discussed the strategy that took place, why he checked, should he have bet, etc. This hand really shows that ESPN is not even trying to look at the 'poker' aspects of what happened.