Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Default NL50: I have A-high, do I ever bet again?

<font color="green"> No read on opponents, they're both new to table 1st or 2nd orbit. </font>

MP $51.85
SB $42.80
BB (Hero) $133.69

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB.
MP calls, 2 folds, SB calls, Hero raises to $3.50, MP calls, SB calls.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($10.5 pot).
SB checks, Hero bets $8, MP folds, SB calls.

Turn is 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($26.5 pot).
SB checks, Hero's action.

<font color="green"> I have no read on villain. I have villain on a PP, FD, or maybe a Ten. Is this a place that's generally worth firing a 2nd barrel? </font>
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: NL50: I have A-high, do I ever bet again?

I usually check, but sometimes bet (representing overpair, of course). If he's on a draw and will check the river unimproved, you'll often win with A high.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM

Without a read I can't say whether to bet or check. By PP, do you mean overpair? If he has an overpair or ten he probably isn't folding no matter what. If he has a flush draw you may be able to get him to fold if you bet enough. If you're sure of that hand range, checking is the best move because you are most likely behind.

I would say you need a reason to bet as opposed to a reason to check. If you feel strongly that he'll fold to a bet then do so. If you are somehow sure that he has A9 or KQ then bet.

When heads up or three-handed, a good player will value any pair here more than they would at a full table. Keep that in mind.

Edit: Limit was in the title of post.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM

double barrel. but if he calls and you improve, you cant call anything on the river. this is stricly a bluff.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 PM

KOS: PP = pocket pair.
I think it's highly unlikely that he has an overpair. I did the PFR'ing, and he was in the SB, not exactly a position people SP big pairs.

The range of hands I put him on isn't due to a read on my opponent, since he's new. I don't see what else he could call with. Basically my question is, does your average opponent fold a PP here? If so, then I think I should fire the turn. If not, I'm check/folding.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
double barrel. but if he calls and you improve, you cant call anything on the river. this is stricly a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a common place to double barrel? Do you do it all the time, or only occasionally? How big should the bet be, and why? What do you do if make an offsuit pair of aces on the river?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a common place to double barrel? Do you do it all the time, or only occasionally? How big should the bet be, and why? What do you do if make an offsuit pair of aces on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely not very often. But the fact that the board paired on the flop means he is less likely to have hit the board. And he may have just been trying to peel with either a FD or perhaps a small PP. I think this isnt a bad spot to DB because we can take it down and push out a lot of other hands. If an offsuit Ace hits the river Im checking it through.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Please dont double barrel into a shorty who called the flop. Just burn money instead man.

If it was against a full stack who I knew could muck a mid PP to 2nd barrel, absolutely, this is a great double barrel spot. But against a shortie, you are just burning it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 PM

im not sure I consider him to be a shorty really but i agree with if he was.