Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: How to win the $26 token in a SNG at FTP - PokerXFactor

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a software engineer for a living, so maybe I'll just build my own player! Give me a few months, lol

[/ QUOTE ]I am too, and actually thought about doing a project like this. Unfortunatly, the PXF one is pretty good and they are adding some enhancements that really fill the gaps (like enabeling comments). I still think it'd be cool to have a player that would allow the creator to record audio they way some of PXF does for Rizen and others, but I think that'd probably be asking a lot for someone to sit down and record it.

Still, I'd LOVE to hear Nath talking thorough one if his HH hand by hand.

I used to think that it was too bad that they asked so much for a subscription because no low buy in players would get a chance to use it. At this point, though, it seems we've had our fill of 4/180s and there probably won't be much benifit to me uploading another tourny until I'm playing at a level where I can afford to subscribe.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a good idea, but yes, PXF's interface looks like there was quite a bit of work put into it. I think I might have to try at some point though, because I don't believe it should cost that much whether I have the $ or not.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 AM

And how much would you software engineers put into the software development on hours alone? A few months, you say? And you'd toss it into the public domain?

Reasonable. Open-sourcers. Different school of thought.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Nah, I wouldn't hire for something like this, just a group of friends. You'd be surprised how many developers play poker and would jump on this "for fun". Also, I didn't say it should be free, just that "it shouldn't cost that much". Still, hours and hours and hours of work, I know.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Exactly. So's opensourcing, man. It's about the love for the project. All I'm saying, don't knock PXF for capitalism. Ditto what Jeff said, though, for me to subscribe, I'd justify it for the replayer as a big factor, not necessarily the only factor. Gotta get there first.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 PM

Not knocking PXF, just knocking the price. :P

Lord knows I'd subscribe myself if I thought it was affordable for me right now.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 PM

Since we're off topice here, the "problem" (if you can call it that) with PXF's pricing structure is that it is probably not a big hit for a lot of players, but for micro players the benifit is hardly worth the cost. I don't see any way for them to offer a product priced at what a micro would pay, and probably they are doing fine with the market they are targeting. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to cater to the 4/180 market with their pricing, since they'd probably have to sell a lot more of their "product" than they are already doing. Probably their best strategy in this regard is to get winning players hooked by free offers and then get them to subsribe when their bankroll gets big enough. Certainly adding a whole bunch of 4/180 tournys to their available HH is not really going to up the quality content for other subscribers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What I've honestly considered is writing a player and then making it available for free, but having people pay per-download. Thus you could downlaod a good 4/180 HH for much cheaper than a $100 buy in tourny. You would pay a reasonable amount for your level and then get to see play at your level. I was also thinking of adding commenting or audio capabilities for those creating the HH, much like whas PXF just did. This kind of an offering and product sturcture would allow you to go after ALL aspiring poker players, not just ones playing higher buy in tournaments.

Not sure if people would be willing to pay enough for per-downlaod HHs to make this profitable, especially since there would have to be some amount (probably the majoirty of the take, actually) paid back to the HH creator to ensure quality submissions- espeically if they have to go through the effort of adding audio or text comments.

Fun stuff to think about, for sure. I'm sure I could do it technology wise and even make time for it, but not really sure I want to compete with PXF since they already have a great player that meets the needs of the most important part of the market (players with $$$).
Old 09-26-2006, 01:26 PM

Okay, I'm convinced we need to get a large group of developers together. Why don't we build a player and then take the profits to become members at PXF? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

j/k...decent idea Jeff...my mind is stirring already.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a * next to the Multiple upload link, which says it is for PFX subscribers only. If I find another place to post it, I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the thread with the promotion code that will let you upload a full multi-hand history into the replayer:

2+2 Thread with PXF code
Old 09-26-2006, 03:07 PM

I want to be careful not to make this a pitch for joining PokerXFactor, but I think I can contribute to this thread.

Pricing is always very difficult and it's something we review all the time at PokerXFactor. Based on our current sales, I don't believe we will be lowering our subscription price. Also, based on all the results our subscribers are sending us, I'm very confident PXF is working for our subscribers -- and many pxf subscribers play on the lower levels. So I'm not sure how you define a micro player, but if it's $3 SNG or MTTs and up, then I think there is evidence that PXF is worth it for up-and-coming players at that level. However, we are not targeting beginners. Sheets and Bax teach on a higher level.

Concerning your pay per download model, I don't think that will work off hand. You would have to let it be for free until you build an audience. I'm not an expert on PPV models though. But open source is normally free.

Right now there are hundreds of full hand histories available at PXF posted by our subscribers ... and they are on every level -- from $4 to $200s to WCOOP. Subscribers are just starting to add written commentary into their hand histories, which is really good for study groups I think.

We've been working on the PXF HH Analzyer for a year. This summer we added statistics, including a popular stat that determines the strength of your hole cards, and recently we added the ability to add comments to a HH. Next up we plan to add an advanced calculator where you can put your opponent on a range of hands. The eventual goal is for the player to upload a HH and have it analyzed on the spot, with a summary of your play at the start of the review, including giving the player feedback on key hands and even alternate ways to play.