Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Adjusting SNG player - isolation push question...

ok, i mainly play SNGs, have played cash tables this week and since i like $$, cash tables look like a nice option right now. Anyway, onto the hand -

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($100.40)
CO ($77.95)
Button ($102.60)
SB ($103.60)
BB ($75)
UTG ($66.30)
UTG+1 ($120.10)
MP1 ($25.80)
MP2 ($116.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $3, MP1 calls $3.

Flop: ($17.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, CO calls $11, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $11.

Turn: ($50.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $10.8 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $85.4</font>

OK - Here is my question - in a SNG this is standard, push CO off to isolate against the short stack. However, eliminating a short stack in a SNG (or other tourney situations) and breaking a short stack at a cash table are (or at least seem to me to be) very different situations. so the logic of the isolation move may be lost here, no?

In short, was this raise with CO left to act behind bad?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Adjusting SNG player - isolation push question...

what do you put MP1 and CO on? calling CO called 3way standard raise pf and then calls 11 on semi dry flop in relations to pf calling hand ranges. I think at best u are against two overs ie AK and very likely at lease one of them has an overpair higher than yours I think QQ is quite likely here AA/KK raises, possibly someone hit their set, but what is left for you to beat? AK/AQ which all have outs against you, TT, 99 i think thats it and on top of that AK/AQ/AJ of spades all have many outs against you. To be honest I have no idea what I would do in this spot, but my educated guess would be to fold this, because if you call river puts you in very tough spot unless you spike your jack, if you raise / push, handranges dictate you're not in that good of a spot. I think push was ok here, given that you think the isolation bet will work.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Adjusting SNG player - isolation push question...

Playing SNG's and cash is a BIG diffirence... Overpair, TPTK, bottom two pair can kill your stack big time in money plays while in SNG's they can be monsters.

In SNG's people can't afford to start folding and don't stop doing it for like 45 minutes but in cash games they do so a shortstack can be just as tight as a deep one cause he tries to win his money back.
In Cashgames shortstacks plays in my experience mainly in three ways.
1. They tighten up and play their A game trying to find a hand to double up with.
2. They go on tilt thinking "To hell with this"
3. They keep on playing like nothing happend