Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Legislation URGENT NEWS

Sorry Wook I didn't want to put this in the NC cause it may get glazed over there.
Read this thread from the legislation forum and please act it won't take but 20 min and it may save the game we love.

URGENT Update From NROG (Posted Friday at 3pm)
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Legislation URGENT NEWS

let us gogogogoogogg
Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 PM

Is there anything non-US citizens can do? I really feel sorry for you guys.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 PM

Here's what I sent, because I don't use form letters. Do not copy or use this in any form.

Staffer,

Please pass on to the Senator that as a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force, I am appalled by Sen Frist's recent attempts to attach gambling legislation to defense appropriations. As a Virginia resident and voter, I am relying on you to put a stop to Sen Frist's opportunism as he attempts to amend a bill he couldn't possibly pass to one that couldn't possibly fail. As a member of the Armed Forces, I appreciate everything Sen Warner has done for the military throughout his career, but I need one more favor. I need him to stop Sen Frist's use of the military as a cover for an attack on civil liberties. I am available at the phone number listed above for further discussion.

Thank you.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM

do it for your international friends who have no voice but will also suffer should americans not be able to gamble online.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do it for your international friends who have no voice but will also suffer should americans not be able to gamble online.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seconded
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 AM

I'm glad you posted this. I have no issues bumping it either. The negative effect of this bill is huge. Thanks also to wookie for the sticky. Ive been watchin the legislation forums alot lately. The names to watch for in that forum. Mr. K and Berge20 are washington insiders. Nate the Great knows what the heck he is talking about. Nrog (National rxxxx of Online gamblers) just started posting. PPA (poker players allaince) president has quite a few posts as well.

Fail to take action and the fish will dry up. Thats not an omninous threat, thats a promise.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fail to take action and the fish will dry up. Thats not an omninous threat, thats a promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying only Americans are fishy?

I talked to staff at both of my senators' ofices and several of my state's reps' offices(VA). You guys really need to let your representatives know what your feeling on this issue is AND find out where your reps stand on the issue of online gaming. Some of this may be election year posturing, but sooner or later this issue will come up and you should make sure that you have reps that are in line with your beliefs on this.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying only Americans are fishy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll argue this nicely. The inexperienced players will not go out of their way to play poker online, especially if it has become clearly illegal. If these players haven't taken the time to trully get better at the game, are they really going to try that hard to circumvent the system to play? No, they'll just find another means of recreation to spend their money on.

80% of online poker players are Americans. So yes I am saying the majority of the bad players are Americans simply because the majority of players come from America. The math isn't hard. If this players go away, it will become much harder to find a juicy game. Also, if this bill gets passed, the number of players will shrink and so will the voice of poker players. It will be much harder to overturn in the future.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 AM

The latest update from Berge20 in the Legislation forum

[ QUOTE ]
As the Congress moves into the last week of work before departing for elections, the internet gambling legislation is still being battled over.

Monday was filled with what some view as good news as House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) is making his own push to add unrelated items to the Department of Defense Authorization legislation currently in conference committee. Ultimately, this may hold up the bill or it could muddy the waters to allow other unrelated items to get in.

Discussion Thread

NROG firmly believes that the Internet gambling legislation or similar language will not be inserted into the DoD Authorization bill. See above link and discussion.

However, Monday night The Hill, a reputable newspaper of record for actions in Congress carried a different tune.

Hill Article Discussion

Please use this tread for substinative discussion for actions over the week.

Nothing is certain until Congress adjourns for the year, but the major threats of this week deal with attaching the IG language to the DoD Authorization (or other must pass bills) legislation. Remember that things change hourly, conference reports can be changed up until the minute they are filed and we may not know until the last moment if something is in or out.

Please do your best to keep this thread on topic and full of useful information for the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Hill article Frist may have snuck the Gambling bill into te defense bill. If thats the case. There is a strong chance that the anti internet gambling bill will pass. Read for yourselves.