Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Wife\'s reaction to satelite win

[ QUOTE ]

women,

can't live with them. pass the beer nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Norm Peterson.

Nice! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 PM

I won a satellite to the WSOP 11000 + free hotel, and my wife asked if we could get cash for it.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 PM

When I started playing about 9 months ago my wife was okay with it for the most part. However, I would get the occasional dig about playing too much etc. At that time I was still learning the game and was break even at best.

Since then I have became a winning player and am up about 12k in the last 6 months. I have cashed out a couple of times and let her use the money for stuff she wanted to buy. Now I never get complaints and she actually encourages me to go play more often. I guess the moral of the story is it's all about the bling. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 PM

its nothing but a rigged crapsite fool
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SIIHP

[/ QUOTE ]
loloskates!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are you married to my wife?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-26-2006, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Otherwise don't tell her you play, and try to hide the elephant under the rug.

GL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't hide the elephant but I try to minimize the size and use a neutral color.

that is, she doesn't understand, and I don't think wants to understand and I'm not sure if she could understand variance and bankrolls. I know I should have a separate bankroll, just like I should have 6 months of living expenses saved up, and yada yada yada. I budgeted how much to spend on poker this year and I'm within that budget (this includes money I've won and cashed out as well as $$ I've spent). I'm spending my entertainment dollar on poker. I'm generally playing when it's not going to disrupt time that I have to spend with her or the kids. However, this tournament was an exception as it ate up much of a Sunday.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

women,

can't live with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they're every [censored] where.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

it's funny cause it's true.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 AM

If I wasn't married, I'd have a really fat bankroll. As it is, to get the time off required to play poker involves substantial bribery. Every time I get a significant win, everyone in the family gets some sort of present. That seems fair enough to me. I don't get the play the WCOOP, the EPT or the WSOP but I will in time.

I'm currently working on my last project (a holiday in Thailand) and after I've got the cash for this, no more poker goodies. I'm going to build a roll and go straight.

To OP, there are two things I'd say here.

1. There's a lot of things I don't expect from my wife. Understanding poker is one, being cute and cuddly and supportive is another. Pretty much everything I ever suggest is a bad idea whether it involves my job, poker, decorating, whatever. We've been mariied six years. This is the woman I married. I love her. She's a fiery Slav, a wonderful mother etc. etc. - I'll take her as she is. On three occasions, she has mocked my ability to win money playing poker and I have gone upstairs and won in excess of $3k. Smugness is its own reward.

2. I know what I'm doing. Because I know what I'm doing, it's easy to discount the views of people who have no idea what I'm doing. My wife will argue with me about anything, including things that I know an awful lot about, like the English language, history and what constitutes a good blow job. If I'm not rolled to play $100 sats, I don't play them. If you think that your were right in the choices that you made, it's easy to dismiss your wife's feelings and opinions. In my experience, women have difficulty sharing a man's joy in football results, success in competitive pursuits, womens' arses. This is as it should be. I'm not remotely interested in my wife's friends' relationship issues, every single tiny ailment my children have or just about anything my wife may choose to talk about when she's on the rags.

In summary: let women be women and when you've made choices that you can't really defend or that she won't like even if they are defensible, lie.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 AM

Nice post registrar. Makes me appreciate my pokerplaying gf (of 10 years) even more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]