Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why do you drink it?
It's Yummy 25 21.01%
I love the Buzz 40 33.61%
It's got vitamins and taurine and stuff 14 11.76%
It's great with shots of booze 40 33.61%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who car

Michael,

I agree that a phone march right now would not be appropriate, however I'm a little bit worried about this:

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that we do not know his next move, think of it as a poker game, why wager before you have more information from your opponent, then you make your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that I worry about is that there's not going to be much news on this between now and the elections (assuming that there are no surprises later in the week). Then, BINGO-BANGO-BONGO, you have the election, a very brief layoff period in which Congressional leadership plans its strategy for the lame duck session in light of the election results, and finally the lame duck session itself, which will probably be relatively short.

In other words, there will not be very much lead time in between when Frist decides how he wants to proceed on the internet gambling language and when that language is actually being voted upon.

So I worry a little bit being too "reactive" here and I think the month of October is extremely important. What sorts of things can you share about what PPA will be doing between adjournment on Friday and the elections?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: It\'s OFFICIAL...No Action in DoD Bill...No action before elections

[ QUOTE ]
What's with all the hate for NROG? For goodness' sake, you people seem to expect perfect communication from them when that's not possible given the fast moving environment that is Washington.

I, for one, value having them post here. I also value Mr. K's posts and Berge's posts. If you don't like someone, put them on ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who care ?

[ QUOTE ]
It bugs me that we blast PPA for not saying much, and then NROG gives us information and we are telling him "it is too much, too soon". Guess it shouldn't be unexpected in a legislation forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A big giant thank you to everyone here, Mr. K, Berge, Nate, NROG!, PPA, etc. Some of us may get a bit fiesty at times, most productive debate, some childish insults, but realize many many many more are very appreciative of what everyone has been doing.

I just hope no one gets thin skin and hurt feelings and goes away. Have a great night folks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!! NROG, PPA go go go. And thank you for your thankless efforts.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It bugs me that we blast PPA for not saying much, and then NROG gives us information and we are telling him "it is too much, too soon". Guess it shouldn't be unexpected in a legislation forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A big giant thank you to everyone here, Mr. K, Berge, Nate, NROG!, PPA, etc. Some of us may get a bit fiesty at times, most productive debate, some childish insults, but realize many many many more are very appreciative of what everyone has been doing.

I just hope no one gets thin skin and hurt feelings and goes away. Have a great night folks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!! NROG, PPA go go go. And thank you for your thankless efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]
A few weeks back, the PPA president finally started posting here and took some advice from the 2+2 community and has been fairly active on here ever since. Thats a huge plus. I say keep up the good work.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 PM

Nate,
First I appreciate yours and others input in this forum. Constructive criticism never hurts.
You are correct that there might not be much news, but our lobbyists are working this issue daily directly with members of Congress, so if we get past this week, we will evaluate the elections, determine a strategy based upon lame duck legislation that is likely to pass, and call to action based upon that determination. It is my expectation that we will need quick and determined lobbying and constituent action at this time, but this, like our phone march will be a directed initiative based upon a real threat. In the meantime we look to continue to grow our network of members, forums, websites, blogs and poker media. We will then be in an even better position to influence lawmakers in this next critical time. Tactical initiatives may include phone marches or other efforts to press our point.
And if we succeed in convincing lawmakers that is an issue that is best handled with thoughtful consideration of the negative impact of a prohibition, versus the positive alternative of effective regulatory legislation, and it is not considered this session, then we will need to focus on next session, as this issue will not go away. The PPA is hoping to create a political movement that will not die with the current threat but mobilize into an offensively minded political organization in the next session, and create good public policy for poker players.
Thanks.
Michael
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,
First I appreciate yours and others input in this forum. Constructive criticism never hurts.
You are correct that there might not be much news, but our lobbyists are working this issue daily directly with members of Congress, so if we get past this week, we will evaluate the elections, determine a strategy based upon lame duck legislation that is likely to pass, and call to action based upon that determination. It is my expectation that we will need quick and determined lobbying and constituent action at this time, but this, like our phone march will be a directed initiative based upon a real threat. In the meantime we look to continue to grow our network of members, forums, websites, blogs and poker media. We will then be in an even better position to influence lawmakers in this next critical time. Tactical initiatives may include phone marches or other efforts to press our point.
And if we succeed in convincing lawmakers that is an issue that is best handled with thoughtful consideration of the negative impact of a prohibition, versus the positive alternative of effective regulatory legislation, and it is not considered this session, then we will need to focus on next session, as this issue will not go away. The PPA is hoping to create a political movement that will not die with the current threat but mobilize into an offensively minded political organization in the next session, and create good public policy for poker players.
Thanks.
Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael,

Thanks -- this sounds like an excellent strategy. I do think your posting on 2+2 slightly more frequently would allow you to further build your support around here.

Can you give us any insight as to whether the report from The Hill that gambling language has in fact been inserted into the DoD bill is accurate?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

[ QUOTE ]

Can you give us any insight as to whether the report from The Hill that gambling language has in fact been inserted into the DoD bill is accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: It\'s OFFICIAL...No Action in DoD Bill...No action before elections

I said this last week, but I believe it bears repeating.

Nothing is certain until conference report is signed, and more importantly filed. Hell, I've seen filed reports have stuff written in or sections entirely crossed off in pencil.

Fast and timely information is important, but it is critical that things are entirely accurate. This is particularly true because we are dealing with a fluid situation that has hourly changes.

In addition, when you (nrog) are attempting to build a grassroots organization and gain support from the 2+2 community accuracy should be even more important to you.

First is not always best.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:24 PM

According to our information it is not accurate. That being said, Mr. Barge is correct, and until it gets out of committee is is not out of the possible.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said before, I will not name names, but there was some interest in the potential revenue from taxation of on-line poker...any interest angle will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet $100 it was Charlie Rangel or one of his Ways & Means buddies! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]