Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 02:35 AM

Default set of queens on a dangerous board

Hi! First of all, i am new to this forum, and quite new to poker at all. I enjoy the intelligent discussions on this forum and am strongly convinced that this is the right place to learn how to improve my play.
Planning to work through a nano limit to put learned concepts to a cheap test i am playing .05/.1 at Pacific Poker at the moment. In this post i go for two things. I´ll start with a question:
Which books would experienced players recommend to me?
I read WWLH two times, and studied SSH in detail for about three weeks now. I strictly prefer analytical treatments - so i planned to buy Hold em for advanced players. Is this a good idead? I have some doubts, because it is written for someone who plays in the high limits. Please make suggestions.

Second i provide a interesting hand:
.05/0.1 Ring game at Pacific Poker, 9 players, Hero is one off the button with QQ

Preflop:
2 folds, 1 player limps,villain raises, 1 folds, Hero reraises, 1 folds, SB folds, BB folds, limper calls, villain calls

Flop (3 players, 10.5 SB): 6s,10s,Qs
limper checks, villain checks,Hero bets,limper calls, villain raises [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], Hero reraises, limper folds, villain caps, Hero calls.

Turn (2 players, 9.75 BB): 5s
villain bets, Hero calls

River(2 players, 11.75 BB): 9c
villain bets, Hero calls

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Let me try to analyze the whole hand:
- preflop is trivial
- Flop is most interesting: assuming that at least one opponent holds a spade i know, that if i am ahead my chance of winning the pot unimproved is strictly lower than 65%. There is some probability that a opponent checks with a made flush, if he had weak hand he would check anyway - so the conditional probability that i am ahead after both opponents checked to me is greater than the probability before we had that information. Furthermore i can´t give a freecard, so the first move is correct. Let´s deal with the interesting stuff:
Was my reraise a fault?. If i am behind, which the check-raise suggests, i have a strong redraw: on the turn i have 7 outs (chance 14.84%). If i miss the turn i have 10 outs (chance 20.12%). Taking the sum we have: 14.84%+(100%-14.84%)*20.12%=32%. Against two opponents i got no edge. Of course i can´t let go this hand: if i am behind i got a huge draw. So the true decision situation is as follows: back off right now for a cheap showdown or try to knock out the limper (maybe he a gutshot, open ended straight, or something). I have no good idea about this. Please help to clarify .
- rest of the hand is trivial

Anyway, looking forward to serious discussions with you [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 AM

Default Re: set of queens on a dangerous board

Welcome.

Please try using a hand converter in the future: http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter/

My grunch, I would have played it the same but that's far fancier play then I can help you with.

I do know reads on the villians would have considerably helped with guessing who has what. Do you have poker tracker? If not, I'd recommend it.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 AM

About books: Reread SSHE a few times, reread certain chapters several times. Go through the questions often, go through the hand quizzes often. Read and post here.

HEPFAP is a great book, but I wouldn't recommend it until you have a few months and a few 10k hands under your belt. Read it when you move up to .25/.5 or .5/1 (I read it when I moved to .5/1). It's easy to misapply the concepts in SSHE (and you will be surely misapplying some of them, as everyone is who starts out), so there is no point to additionally misapply HEPFAP concepts right from the start.

About the hand: Preflop, flop and turn are fine. Pretty standard imo. I would also 3-bet the flop against an aggressive player, against I passive players I tend more to just call the raise. I would typically fold the river, though, unless villain is an idiot. He liked the flop, and the 4th [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the turn didn't slow him down. Against typical players you're not good here 1 in 12 times. But I don't mind the call too much.

Edit: And welcome to the forums.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Hey stranger!

About the hand: You’re probably behind here so I don’t like pushing the “limper” out, if you draw and beat villain you’ll beat the limper too. Let him pay more while you pay less.

As played is fine, as HU is always a good thing, pretty much have to call the river once you call the scary turn (as he just may have a non flush hand such as a set of Ts, river is a sanity call/get a read)

HEFAP will teach you a bunch of fancy plays that just do not work at .05/.1 as your villains aren’t aware enough to be fooled. SSHE is just where you want to be. Also add in Our lovely Microlimit Library (and most epecially Why Why You're Not Crushing These Games).
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey stranger!

As played is fine, as HU is always a good thing, pretty much have to call the river once you call the scary turn (as he just may have a non flush hand such as a set of Ts, river is a sanity call/get a read)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between the river call and the turn call. On the turn Hero has outs to a full house and quads to win over an apparent flush. Turn fold would be a mistake. River fold would be an acceptable judgement call.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 PM

With a read, I can raise the turn.

As played I fold the river a good % of the time.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:07 AM

Hi Varian. Welcome to the forum.

Flop and turn are fine. You can maybe find a fold on the river, but even if calling is wrong it isn't likely to cost you very much. Meh.

I'd suggest complementing your existing library with some more general theory (TOP - Theory of Poker). I found that it did a lot to help me understand the underlying theory of SSH.

And I'd encourage you to jump into the conversation here. There are few better ways to help your game along.

Best of luck and happy pokering.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Fold the river. You missed the boat, and any spade beats you. He wasn't scared of you on the flop and bet out again on the turn. Don't waste the last bet.