Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Bad streak, Advice?

Been doing pretty good over the first 4k hands. Was winning about 3.1 BB/100. Friday night was great +75BB. Saturday the streak starts. Getting busted by everything. No i'm not complaining i know it happens. But i'm wondering when your in a slump what do you do to try to turn it around? Take off for a few days? Drop limits? or just keep going and wait for the upswing again? I'm down roughly 210BB

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Bad streak, Advice?

when I'm in a bad spot in poker, I study my ass off. In fact, I do more learning when I'm in a downswing than when I'm in an upswing. Review your hands, try quantifying the dollar amount in mistakes. See how much you're losing in BB/100 to mistakes. Post hands you have no clue on. Time to read SSHE again. Review, review, review.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM

I always play fewer tables and try to focus on my play. Also focus on table selection, I think when you're running good you don't think about it, but its very important.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Are you reviewing your sessions after you leave the table? Have you identified what's just variance, and what may be tilt? Also, sign up for a session review and get someone else to look at some of the hands for you.

BTW, 4K hands isn't really a lot of hands to have a good idea of your long term win rate.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Great advice. Review. Think. Find the leaks (tilts?) You will bounce back better than ever.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Review, and get a feel for what you think is your biggest leak, then try to focus on fixing that.
For example, I tend to get *WAY* too aggressive on marginal hands when I'm on a bad run. So whenever I think I notice myself doing that, I set up a session of very nitty value betting.
You may be just running bad (you probably are), but it's likely there's also some bad reaction to it in your play.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 PM

How i normally review my play is sort hands by least profitable. And work my way through. I replay the hands and try to notice what i did and where mabye i missed a read etc. is this an ideal way to review?

Mostly there haven't been many bad plays, not even lying i've really only lots with big hands. Sets, Flushes, Trips and 15 out draws. And i know it will turn around.

On a side note i appreciate the help and advice.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM

Poker can suck man. I'm a winning player over 60K hands so far and my last sessions have looked like this for lovely 100+BB downswing

+51

The main thing is that I have hit maybe 2 or 3 draws in the last 3000 hands for flush draws, oesd's out of 25 or 30. If I hit these at a normal rate, I'd basically be break even. It's very frustrating to miss an open ended straight and nut flush draw on one hand in a 20 BB pot and then a few hands later lose to a 2 - 4 outter to some donk in a decent sized pot. It can be fricking cruel sometimes
Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 PM

I've noticed when I'm running bad I get the feeling "the game owes me something."

The game owes no one anything. If I start to feel I'm overdue for a hit, watchout, that's when I start peeling without the odds to back my play.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 PM

There is exactly one way:

Play more hands

However, only play hands if you feel you can play them at your usual ability. If you are hindered by psychological things, then take some time off.

But, just play more hands.