Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why do you drink it?
It's Yummy 25 21.01%
I love the Buzz 40 33.61%
It's got vitamins and taurine and stuff 14 11.76%
It's great with shots of booze 40 33.61%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: It\'s OFFICIAL...No Action in DoD Bill...No action before elections

Just an update:
It does look promising that IG legislation will not make it on to the DOD appropriation bill, but I caution this is NOT a done deal. In fact many other avenues exist. The fact is that there are several other pieces of legislation that Frist can use to include IG legislation, so even if it is determined that attaching IG Prohibition legislation is not germane to the DOD authorization bill, we are not out of the woods until the end of the week. The PPA lobbying team continues to monitor and respond to events on Capitol Hill.
I just returned from the Hill, after 2 weeks of meeting with over 20 of the leading Senate and House offices, and attending several fundraisers with key members, to continue to push for regulation as a good government approach to internet poker, that prohibition is not the answer and will only send the game underground and ask that at the very least let poker receive a hearing and not be attached to other non-germane pieces of legislation.

I want to thank 2+2 members and others for their calls on September 12th. It really made a difference when I met with the Senate offices as they had heard quite recently from their constituents. I know that 3000+ calls does not sound like a large amount, and I wish that our phone lines could have handled more, but it made a strong impact. The most important thing that 2+2ers can do is to continue to call and let their Senators' know that the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act is still a very controversial issue by stating and re-stating your opposition. You can certainly query the internet for your senate phone numbers or go to our site, click on defending the game, elected officials, and enter your zip code for the number or send the action alert by e-mail. This battle is far from over and we are focused on having the best political impact with one of the top lobbying teams in DC.
Regards,
Michael Bolcerek
Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who care ?

1. To whom, among these fundraisers, should we contribute to advance this Cause ?

Who did you meet with that seemed sympathetic and willing to act to protect American's rights to play poker online ?

2. Have you worked with NROG ? Ever see them on the Hill ?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who care ?

It bugs me that we blast PPA for not saying much, and then NROG gives us information and we are telling him "it is too much, too soon". Guess it shouldn't be unexpected in a legislation forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A big giant thank you to everyone here, Mr. K, Berge, Nate, NROG!, PPA, etc. Some of us may get a bit fiesty at times, most productive debate, some childish insults, but realize many many many more are very appreciative of what everyone has been doing.

I just hope no one gets thin skin and hurt feelings and goes away. Have a great night folks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who car

I would certainly suggest that you contribute to those members who opposed this IG Prohibition legislation in the house or those who co-sponsored the Porter-Berkley legislation calling for a study commission. Although it is best to group campaign donations, if 2+2ers want to contribute, you should make a note that this contribution is from a poker player who wants to see good public policy that makes sense, not a prohibition. I have received contributions from PPA members and provided them, including my own, in combined amounts, to share our support for these members actions.

As I said before, I will not name names, but there was some interest in the potential revenue from taxation of on-line poker...any interest angle will help.
2. We have spoken on the phone in the past and any support to bring attention to this matter is helpful. I have never met them personally, and Hill is big place.
Michael
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We reported it a week ago and are happy to confirm today that it is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay,

Please stop rolling the two-sided good or bad dice and wait for confirmation of any developments. It's now become annoying.

Seriously, if one person becomes complacent because you pop off with a quote from "a very close source" then you have done a great disservice to the cause you claim to be fighting for.

This is so basic that it makes me wonder what you do with all that money people are sending you.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]'
This is so freaking right on, Tuco. Why would you want people to relax at all? It's basically a reverse freeroll.. people calling after there's no threat is going to have no effect, but if they stop calling and the threat still existed, then we could get screwed. Let's keep active on this instead of relaxing and let's try to keep those phones ringing.

If something seems so unpopular that people continue hammering the phones even after the threat has passed, it could have some positive impact.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would certainly suggest that you contribute to those members who opposed this IG Prohibition legislation in the house or those who co-sponsored the Porter-Berkley legislation calling for a study commission. Although it is best to group campaign donations, if 2+2ers want to contribute, you should make a note that this contribution is from a poker player who wants to see good public policy that makes sense, not a prohibition. I have received contributions from PPA members and provided them, including my own, in combined amounts, to share our support for these members actions.

As I said before, I will not name names, but there was some interest in the potential revenue from taxation of on-line poker...any interest angle will help.
2. We have spoken on the phone in the past and any support to bring attention to this matter is helpful. I have never met them personally, and Hill is big place.
Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Bolcerek,

I emailed you once before but I am sure you get a ton of emails. Your phone march seemed to get a great response, maybe too much for your 800 number. Who knows how many people just threw in the towel when they couldn't get through and did not know what other number to call?

Have you considered doing another phone march this week, and maybe even weekly without the 800 number, just putting up Congress' general number, (202) 224-3121?

Thanks,

Jay Cohen
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Whose fundraisers deserve support on this issue from those who care ?

[ QUOTE ]
It bugs me that we blast PPA for not saying much, and then NROG gives us information and we are telling him "it is too much, too soon". Guess it shouldn't be unexpected in a legislation forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A big giant thank you to everyone here, Mr. K, Berge, Nate, NROG!, PPA, etc. Some of us may get a bit fiesty at times, most productive debate, some childish insults, but realize many many many more are very appreciative of what everyone has been doing.

I just hope no one gets thin skin and hurt feelings and goes away. Have a great night folks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!

My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 PM

Nice to see you posting Mr. Cohen. I'm not sure if you've been active on the sports forums regarding this issue, but we sure could use you here.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM

One of the important elements of political action is to coordinate lobbying with constituent action. That is the reason that we activated our members and other internet forums , sites and blogs, prior to intense lobbying effort. It was not just an unrelated series of events that we initiated a phone march, and embarked on targeted lobbying, at the same time that Senator Frist made his push. The fact is that we do not know his next move, think of it as a poker game, why wager before you have more information from your opponent, then you make your decision. I hate to beat the drums when it is not necessary, our members involvement and others is too valuable to use when it cannot be effectively used. A weekly call would simply lose value, where a consistent call/e-mail presence voicing opposition is probably more valuable at this time.
Michael
Old 09-25-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... and NROG can confirm the accuracy of our statement

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh great! You can confirm the accuracy of your own statement. That makes me feel better.

[ QUOTE ]
NROG is a highly active lobbying group with a large team of people on Capitol Hill

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you save me the trouble of going to your website to detail your lobbying organization, funding, etc.

Forgive my skepticism, and any effort to get the word out to sympathetic ears about this issue is appreciated, but something just doesn't seem right. I'd hate to see monetary support sent to the NROG go unused and wasted.