Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: Proper River Bet/Fold Line?

Frequently peopel misuse WA/WB. Yes they are likely either way ahead or way behind, but in order for the line to be good you should be way ahead sometimes and way behind sometimes. If the situation is such that you're nearly always way ahead or nearly always way behind a WA/WB line is not appropriate. Personally I think people frequently use it as an excuse to be weak.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if hes solid i see him having ak of spades its the only one that makes sense to me. since you are rr a lag he doesnt know for sure you have a pp hence the turn bet(for a check behind after). you can safley fold but i felt you were way ahead until the river.

can anyone link up some wa/wb lines from previous 2+2 posts i may have the idea a bit skewed?

[/ QUOTE ]
looking around and have found some threads where the idea is presented in a somewhat roundabout way, but either way these threads have some good poker talk in them.

jt JJ hand
not a WA/WB sit
2006 WPT champ newhizzle WA/WB hand
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awful hand in my opinion. Either 3bet the flop or checkraise the turn, you're likely way ahead. Find a way to get more money in this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I would have three-bet the flop and led the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Then you bet and fold the river? Barf! Bet-call and checkcall are both way better then bet-fold. The pot is big you know and his hand doesn't really look like it contains a K anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given Hero's line up until this point I don't think bet-fold is a bad way to play the river. Hero says this played like an online $2/4 game. In those games you don't see a lot of bluff raising the river. Hero has played his hand like AK when he bets this river. Villain raises. Villain is saying either I can beat AK (or I have AK myself). Unless Hero has a read to the contrary that villain is capable of bluff raising (or making very thin value raises), I think he is usually beat here.

Check-calling is OK if you are afraid you might get blown off the best hand. However the K on the river is going to be a scare card to hands like 99-JJ, especially given the way Hero played the flop and turn. Often those hands will check this river down, but they will always call a bet here to protect against a bluff.

If Hero is going to be putting in a BB on the river I think he is much better off betting than check-calling. Unfortunately when he gets raised, notwithstanding the large pot, against a typical (non-tricky) player he is beat often enough to warrant a fold IMO.