Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Who\'s the Jerk: The dealer, the floor, the players, or me?

15/30 Canterbury.

I just lost KK flopped set to a running wheel straight to "Tony Two Pair" (good god). And I angrily limp 44 UTG because I figure I can hit a set I can pump it up pretty good (still a bad play I agree -- tilt).

Now this is the action:

flop comes 356 with 2 hearts. I call a flop bet by the small blind and everyone else folds. Next card is a 9 of hearts, so 3 hearts on the board. he checks, i check. final card misses my straight. He bets. I make like Im pondering a call... shuffling my chips infront of my chip stack but behind my cards which I am touching with my othr hand. I throw the cards into the muck and pick up my chips.

Here's what happens:

Dealer says "you called". I say "no way" and look over at the only player left in the hand. He notices my reaction and then stops mucking his uncalled hand and declares TWO PAIR! No one is paying attention to the action at all. It was a tiny pot and none of them were interested. The dealer demands I give my chips to the other player. I'm clearly indignant and demand he turn over my cards and see if I would EVER call that board. I then turn to the winning player and ask him if he really thinks I called. He tells me that its the dealer's decision he will go with. Suddenly another player pipes in, this player was NOT watching, "his chips crossed the line" (total BS, he's outright lieing because he wants the dealer to begin a new hand. Tony Two pair is causing us to play about 12 hands per hour, MAYBE). Now two more players join in and tell me how I should just give the guy 6 chips.

At this point I am having trouble even communicating because half the table is berating me for being "cheap" or an idiot. Finally, the guy to my left who doesn't like the player who outright lied about my chips crossing the line says: "he didn't call. Are you guys joking?" Dealer looks at me and says "you called" "FLOOR!" Manager comes over asks the dealer what happend. And the dealer NOW claims my chips came over the line (way to listen to what another player said and pretend like it happened). Manager says "dealer's decision stands". I try to explain the situation but he starts walking away. Before he can leave the player sticking up for me demands they check the cameras. The manager says his decision stands and waits for me to give up my chips. At this point atleast 4 tables are turned around and i am so annoyed I whip 6 chips accross the table and say here's 30 f*kin dollars almost hoping he kicks me out of the game. he says nothing and walks away.

The guy who won puts the 30 back in the middle and turns away from me and won't look at me or say anything (I honestly feel like he knows I didn't intend to call but wanted to take the 30 dollars as long as it didn't make him look bad). Now the rest of the table goes back to berating my "cheapness" for the next 30 minutes. How rude am I? Other players? Bad Floor/Dealer?

I've never felt worse about how something was handled but this just made me steam.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Who\'s the Jerk: The dealer, the floor, the players, or me?

So you called and then instantly folded your cards before the other player revealed his hand. Yeah, right. I would just ask the dealer what kind of idiot would think something like that happened?

Oh, and to answer your question - you are the jerk.
What are you doing "making like you are pondering a call"?
You already said the game was running slow enough, why are you making TV moves to slow it down more? In a slow running game, with a small pot, in a hand no one is paying attention to, WHO ARE YOU SHUFFLING CHIPS PONDERING A CALL FOR??? If you are going to fold, then FOLD!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now the rest of the table goes back to berating my "cheapness" for the next 30 minutes. How rude am I? Other players? Bad Floor/Dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how rude you are, but you aren't too bright to continue to play there. Maybe it is the only game in town and being forced to hand over $30 from time to time is what you ahve to do to play. If that is a case it might be cheaper to become a Tom and make usre these things always go your way, but it sounds like the best bet is to not play there (or any place with an angle line on the table).
Old 09-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Villain didn't happen to be Prahlad Friedman, did it?

I (nobody here can) pretend to know how far out your chips came, but it all sounds like a winner of a room, from the angle shot to the taunting.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

You're all jerks. But there's no way I'm giving the other guy $30.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM

To me, sounds like everybody concerned could have handled this better (you included, as cardcounter pointed out). To me, however, the 2-pair guy is the real jerk here. I just couldn't see myself behaving that way; I'm trying to take everyone's money, but I wouldn't need to do it THAT way.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHO ARE YOU SHUFFLING CHIPS PONDERING A CALL FOR??? If you are going to fold, then FOLD!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. As far as the $30 bucks in chips, $30 or $3, if it was me, they would have to pry the chips out of my hands while I was kicking their a$$es. If I would get booted for life, so be it.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WHO ARE YOU SHUFFLING CHIPS PONDERING A CALL FOR??? If you are going to fold, then FOLD!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. As far as the $30 bucks in chips, $30 or $3, if it was me, they would have to pry the chips out of my hands while I was kicking their a$$es. If I would get booted for life, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree the pondering the call was stupid. I think I was just so badly on tilt from the hand before that I actually had to consider whether he was on a draw, when it dawned on me that every single draw hit :-)

Yah and for the record. I was shuffling my chips the whole hand, and I didn't do the TV show standoff like I was on camera. PUHLEEZE.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(nobody here can) pretend to know how far out your chips came

[/ QUOTE ]

I can.

They must've been really, really close to a line that was drawn on the table, or else this discussion never would've happened. and other players not involved in the pot never would've taken the position that you called.

If you want to bring chips right up to that line, and make your intentions unclear, then you deserve everything that you get.