Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the big blind while timid usually, was on a rush and would be aggressive enough now to bet two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think that he would have bet that hand on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

p.s. you could make a good case for folding pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[/ QUOTE ]

no?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't make a case for folding preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong its silly.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: $20/$40 hand

I don't thiink the BB would check the turn with any made hand here. When he checks the turn, you can pretty much put him on a draw of some kind. Of course this won't always be true, but most of the time. Too many draws on that board for him to check anything reasonable. Conclusion: Don't raise the river.

-MD
Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the big blind while timid usually, was on a rush and would be aggressive enough now to bet two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think that he would have bet that hand on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

p.s. you could make a good case for folding pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[/ QUOTE ]

no?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't make a case for folding preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong its silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Unlike what had been going on, 4 players limp to me. I limp with 8d7d

go ahead, make your case.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 AM

I'm not going to get into a huge PF debate here, but clearly this is an ideal situation to raise PF with this type of hand. And if you're in the CO or HJ instead of the button, you should be MUCH, MUCH MORE inclined to do so.

Whoever said fold PF must have misread the OP. Giving away money is not cool...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was an ok raise as long as I could fold to a 3 bet. Just calling the river doesn't seem right here for some reason. I don't know. Perhaps someone could tell me why or why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering folding the winning hand for 1 more bet is by far the biggest mistake you can make in limit holdem, I'm not a big fan of the "raise and fold to a 3 bet" line.

Having said that, this river is the perfect spot to do it. Few players are strong or smart enough to do it with a worse hand than you.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was an ok raise as long as I could fold to a 3 bet. Just calling the river doesn't seem right here for some reason. I don't know. Perhaps someone could tell me why or why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering folding the winning hand for 1 more bet is by far the biggest mistake you can make in limit holdem, I'm not a big fan of the "raise and fold to a 3 bet" line.

Having said that, this river is the perfect spot to do it. Few players are strong or smart enough to do it with a worse hand than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the Borgata playing $40/$80 and $20/$40, being outplayed is the very least of my worries. I will never get 3 bet here with a worse hand. I just wanted to know if anyone thought that with the way the hand played out if a raise would be profitable here, especially considering the donkey in the middle of all the action.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM

ok here's my case.

when you clearly dont know how to value bet in slim spots like you're gonna get in hands like this, then you fold. if you're able to play them and not lose more than you should with these type of hands, then you can play them. but clearly OP is having trouble knowing when to raise, fold, and call in spots where it's not so ABC clear.

these type of speculative hands can make money if you play them well, but they also get you in spots where you lose a lot with them as well if you're not careful. think about how many times you end up paying off, or even worse, raising! in spots like this when if you had folded pre, ther would be no issue.

playing hands like this in multi-way pots is a great tool in switching it up, playing big drawing pots.. but you lose more than you win when you make spewy river raises in spots when you're clearly beat. these hands do not have a lot of value, and when you dont play them correctly, theyre a losing hand in the long term.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok here's my case.

when you clearly dont know how to value bet in slim spots like you're gonna get in hands like this, then you fold. if you're able to play them and not lose more than you should with these type of hands, then you can play them. but clearly OP is having trouble knowing when to raise, fold, and call in spots where it's not so ABC clear.

these type of speculative hands can make money if you play them well, but they also get you in spots where you lose a lot with them as well if you're not careful. think about how many times you end up paying off, or even worse, raising! in spots like this when if you had folded pre, ther would be no issue.

playing hands like this in multi-way pots is a great tool in switching it up, playing big drawing pots.. but you lose more than you win when you make spewy river raises in spots when you're clearly beat. these hands do not have a lot of value, and when you dont play them correctly, theyre a losing hand in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

my god.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok here's my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

you just made a great case for folding pretty much every hand that isn't JJ+
Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the Borgata. not a very good game, I'm playing it with my friend before going to bed.

Preflop: Unlike what had been going on, 4 players limp to me. I limp with 8d7d, blinds check.

Flop: J 6 5 two hearts. Big blind who usually plays pretty conservatively but is on a huge rush leads. A loose overaggressive guy calls, and I call.

Turn: some blank I forgot. Checked around.

River: 9h. Big blind leads, guy calls, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop is fine. folding here is simply horrible, and it is not close.

flop, just call.

turn, fine.

river, you have to play poker, but i think i'm raising and folding to 3town.