Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 04:44 AM

Default I\'d like to give some advice to beginners

From somebody who's finally seeing the bigger picture, I highly respect the way I went about learning the game over poker. Stick with low limits and play very conservatively. If you're going to make a mistake, have that mistake be that you folded to a bluff rather than won a hand by inducing a bluff. People will do the betting for you for the most part. As far as learning, its better to miss than to give.

The absolute most important part of learning poker is really learning yourself and understanding how people work.

Even though I may have been out of hands that I could have been in and won while I was learning, it's important to understand why you should have been in that hand.

I see poker players left and right judging their hands after the hand is over and what cards may come etc etc. It's ridiculous to do so. Your hands should be based only on the circumstances of that bet / fold / check. Always resort to your hands backwards and never forwards. Learning how to learn poker is the most important part of learning poker. That's what I see in people most often (this really goes for everything really).

Study the game. Play tight and loosen up as you learn. There are a lot of variables in poker. Add them one at a time and understand them as best as you can before you add another.

Study study study. 2+2 publishing knows their stuff.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Re: I\'d like to give some advice to beginners

This type of advice is best kept in the Beginners Forum.

Anyway, nice post, I just don't get all of it:
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to make a mistake, have that mistake be that you folded to a bluff rather than won a hand by inducing a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Erm... you don't win a hand by inducing a bluff, you only get more money out of a bluffer that way.

One more thing: I'm not sure if it's only me, but I've thought I'm seeing the big picture a couple of times. Turns out behind each picture there seems to be a bigger one.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if it's only me, but I've thought I'm seeing the big picture a couple of times. Turns out behind each picture there seems to be a bigger one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just you Kaz, every time I think Im getting a grasp on this game I read another post on here or something in a book that blows everything wide open again.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One more thing: I'm not sure if it's only me, but I've thought I'm seeing the big picture a couple of times. Turns out behind each picture there seems to be a bigger one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if it's only me, but I've thought I'm seeing the big picture a couple of times. Turns out behind each picture there seems to be a bigger one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just you Kaz, every time I think Im getting a grasp on this game I read another post on here or something in a book that blows everything wide open again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the great Doyle Brunson says he's still learning new things about the game. On that note, I think we all have quite a few pictures to look behind! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 03:41 AM

I'd like to give the beginners some advice:
The only thing Acid said that made sense is that you can't judge a play by it's results.

-MD
Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to make a mistake, have that mistake be that you folded to a bluff rather than won a hand by inducing a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I'd give the exact opposite advice. Or are you talking about NL?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what picture that you can see, but the above sentence is pretty stupid advice.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:38 PM

Look down until you find the Beginners forum.

-J