Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Default $22 Sng Analysis. Grade my Analysis

A friend of mine sent me a $22 sng he played. I pulled out what I thought were the interesting hands and made comments. I am a 10% roi player in the 109s, nothing stellar, i'm still trying to improve my game. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis or have something to add to it.

HAND 1

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2000)
UTG+1 (t1920)
MP1 (t2000)
MP2 (t2000)
Hero (t2000)
CO (t2000)
Button (t4120)
SB (t1960)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t40, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t160</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t260</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, Hero calls t120

Flop: (t640) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t325</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 1 COMMENTS

In the early level there's no need to raise with hands like AJo or even AQo after a limper. If you are opening from late position, that's fine. But if you are EP just limp (or fold) and if you are MP or LP after a limper, just limp behind. The idea is to conserve chips early on. You can bleed a lot of chips away with AQ and AJ when you miss the flop.

In this case, you got reraised. You have odds to call, but you'll never know where you are on the flop. So you can see the problem with raising.

HAND 2

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1960)
UTG+1 (t2000)
Hero (t1720)
MP2 (t2000)
MP3 (t4120)
CO (t2380)
Button (t1940)
SB (t1960)
BB (t1920)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, Hero calls t40, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t150</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t110

Flop: (t360) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets t300</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 2 COMMENTS

OK to limp with 66 in EP. Some players fold 66 but will limp with 77 in EP in level 1. But once you get raised (even by this LAG) you have to let it go. You can't bleed chips in level 1.

In a cash game this call of raise would be fine, because you're getting more than 10 to 1 implied odds.

HAND 3

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2156)
UTG+1 (t1890)
Hero (t1330)
MP2 (t2655)
MP3 (t4030)
CO (t1635)
Button (t3495)
SB (t749)
BB (t2060)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t200

Flop: (t650) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t650) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (t650) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

HAND 3 COMMENTS

PF raise to 300 is OK. I would prefer making it 250 with your stack though. That way a continuation bet on the flop will be smaller.

It's a scary 3 flush flop. He checks to you, you should try to take this pot by betting 300.

HAND 4

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3880)
UTG+1 (t1236)
MP1 (t3495)
MP2 (t1798)
MP3 (t1710)
CO (t1656)
Button (t2090)
Hero (t1430)
BB (t2705)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t50, BB checks

Flop: (t200) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

HAND 4 COMMENTS

i like the open limp in SB with medium strength hand. I do this a lot. the plan should be to bet 100 on a lot of flops. it' easier to steal his blind on the flop than before the flop.

On flop, betting 200 is ok. Or also bet 100 as you would when you miss. This might induce a steal raise.

HAND 5

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2030)
UTG+1 (t2755)
MP1 (t5378)
MP2 (t936)
CO (t3195)
Button (t1660)
SB (t1956)
BB (t2090)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t450</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t250, UTG+1 calls t250

Flop: (t1650) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>

HAND 5 COMMENTS

Just Fold 33 here. You're probably going to get raised off it preflop.

Yep, you got raised, you have to fold with one player still to act. By calling you give the player behind you the chance to raise the small stack all-in, then you're in a tough spot.

You've got a comfortable 10 BB stack, don't bleed it away. I'd be folding 22-66 in this spot. Probably 77 too. 88+ I would push all-in. It's an overbet but i can't fold 88 and if i raise 500 i'm going to be calling a reraise.

HAND 6

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2305)
UTG+1 (t5378)
MP1 (t2136)
MP2 (t3195)
CO (t1660)
Button (t1856)
SB (t1890)
Hero (t1580)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t400</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t200

Flop: (t900) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>

HAND 6 COMMENTS

Nice Play! You've got 2 choices here. This guy is obviously a monkey we know from previous hands. You can push preflop since he likely has garbage. Or you can call with the intention of pushing a lot of flops.

HAND 7

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3056)
UTG+1 (t1790)
Hero (t1980)
CO (t2305)
Button (t6014)
SB (t3195)
BB (t1660)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>

HAND 7 COMMENTS

Nice Fold!

HAND 8

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1560)
UTG+1 (t3056)
MP1 (t1690)
Hero (t1980)
Button (t2305)
SB (t5814)
BB (t3595)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

HAND 8 COMMENTS

This is not a push. The 3 players left to act would have to be extremely tight for this to be +EV. Since it's a $22, I doubt they are going to be folding hands like 66 A9. So, i think this is either a small negative edge or small positive in the best case. Best to fold.

HAND 9

UTG (t3680)
Hero (t2280)
MP1 (t615)
CO (t5714)
Button (t3295)
SB (t1360)
BB (t3056)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, CO calls t500, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t1300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets t677</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 9 COMMENTS

I play this hand the same. I don't feel comfortable pushing with this many players behind and more than 10 BBs. I don't want to fold ATs here either. So raise to 500 is good. Getting called by the big stack sucks. A continuation bet is probably not going to work against the big stack on this flop. So I guess you have to check-fold.

HAND 10

Blind is t400 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3680)
Hero (t3010)
CO (t5114)
Button (t3495)
SB (t2060)
BB (t2641)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t1200</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

HAND 10 COMMENTS

This surprised me. It may be correct. With 7.5 BBs I tend to just go ahead and stick it in here. But this might be a very good fold.

HAND 11

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t7099)
Button (t5090)
SB (t2760)
Hero (t5051)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>,<font color="red">SB is all-in</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 11 COMMENTS

This was interesting. I think SB is pushing 100% here. So I ran the numbers. It's a +1.8% edge call. If you drop his range down to 70% pushing, then it's still +1%. And at 60% it's +0.5% edge.

It is the bubble and the big stacks are on your left. So you're going to have a hard time stealing later on. You have to take this edge and call.

HAND 12

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t4151)
Button (t6199)
SB (t6290)
BB (t3360)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Hero is all-in</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

HAND 12 COMMENTS

This push is +EV. I would think the two big stacks have a pretty tight calling range and the BB will probably call pretty loose. It's still +EV if we say big stacks have range of 66+,ATs+,AJo+ and BB has range of 44+,A7s+,A9o+,KJs+

HAND 13

CO (t8299)
Button (t4790)
SB (t1860)
Hero (t5051)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>,<font color="red">SB is all-in</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 13 COMMENTS

You're getting 2 to 1 here with Jack high. If SB has any clue, he's pushing with 100% here. He has to be pushing with less than 70% of hands for a call to have an edge of less than 0.5%. This is a call.

HAND 14

CO (t4790)
Button (t2460)
Hero (t4451)
BB (t8299)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

HAND 14 COMMENTS

This is a tell. Just go ahead and push. Also, it's a disaster if he calls and an ace flops. You might have to fold the best hand because it's the bubble. PUSH!

HAND 15

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t600 (3 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t8150)
Hero (t4451)
BB (t7399)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

HAND 15 COMMENTS

You need to be pushing 100% here unless you know the BB is loose. It's 3 handed now so you should take any +EV edge.

HAND 16

PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t600 (3 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t11099)
SB (t4450)
Hero (t4451)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t300, Hero checks

Flop: (t1200) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t1200) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (t1200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t1600</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>

HAND 16 COMMENTS

you have to bet the flop. This is a great flop for you and he checked it to you. Push all-in on the flop. If he calls you got lots of outs.

HAND 17

Button (t3550)
Hero (t5351)
BB (t11099)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t900</font>, BB calls t600

Flop: (t2400) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: (t2400) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600

River: (t3600) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800

HAND 17 COMMENTS

Same as the KK hand before. I'm not sure what you're thinking here. Are you trying to get him to reraise? Are you trying to save money in case you miss so you can move into 2nd place? You have to push this, too many things can go wrong if he calls and you miss the flop. He can bluff you off the best hand because of his stack.

I wrote that before looking at the result. Now I'm crying. He can also suck out. 5k chips is not a lot with 300/600 blinds. You have to push preflop with a monster like AK.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: $22 Sng Analysis. Grade my Analysis

Some comment:

Hand 3 - I fold KQo in this pos with this stack. We got to much to push and not enough to raise here IMO so just fold.

Hand 4 - Fine, but prefer to bet 100 on flop instead of pot.

Hand 6 - A push is bad IMO you're right villain might be weak but I'm not happy to get it in vs. A3o or something like that and obv there's always a chance he got a monster. I calls sometimes and check-raise flop if I hit but I think fold preflop is fine too.

Hand 9 - I'm usually folding this maybe but I'm on the tight side and i see nothing wrong with a raise. Might get away with 450 preflop.

Hand 10 - Good fold.

Hand 11 - Read dependant as you said. I play 22's also and you'd be surprised at how tight alot of players are in sb in this situation. Could very well be fold.

Hand 13 - Same as #11 but I probably call.

Everything else I got nothing to add. Good advice.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 PM

thanks for the comments.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:20 AM

Hand 7 is probably a push.
Hand 12 is almost never a push in 22s.
Hand 13 is probably a decent call, but I might pass it up - no need to double up the SB.
Hand 15 is also a fold in 22s... too loose to make it +EV.

The rest looks good.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 AM

I am folding hand 9 pf all day long
Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 AM

Hand 3: I'm folding this preflop, especially with this short a stack

Hand 6: Converter isn't working here, but I guess he open pushed?

Hand 9: I'm folding this pre
Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 AM

I'll post where I don't agree...

Hand 2: If you are going to limp originally, you have to call the raise.
Hand 3: Fold PF.
Hand 6: Fold PF.
Hand 9: Fold PF.
Hand 10: This was a good fold.
Hand 13: I would fold this too.
Hand 15: This can be a push or fold.
Hand 16: You can bet the flop, or at least bet the turn.

That was a lot of hands, if something doesn't sound right let me know.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 AM

I disagree with your comment on

Hand 3: given pos and stacksize this is nothing but a fold IMO
Hand 6: I need a monster read here to push pf
Hand 9: I donīt like EP raising ATs with 11.5bb. With luckily only one caller you need to have enough chips to cbet a good-looking flop. The stack is too small for that - fold pf.
Hand 10: Our hand does not well against UTGs presumed range. Fold.
Hand 11: read dependent IMO. Many players at the 22ers donīt push "correctly" so his range might be tighter than you think.
Hand 16: Iīd bet 600 on the flop, calling a push. In a 22er villain might call and if we hit the str8 we have a nicely disguised hand. Push on the flop looks like a draw IMO. This may be a leak though.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Hand 16: anyone ever push this pre when sb limps into you? If i havent exhausted this move already to the point where i think small blind wouldnt try to LRR me here w/ a monster, i often push about 75% of the time sb limps in with these stack sizes. Leak?