View Poll Results: #1
Cheating 193 64.33%
Legal 107 35.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Guns and the USA.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The US is great for lots of reasons, but we just don't understand your culture and laws when it comes to guns. It's difficult to understand the US viewpoint on guns.

We hear the statistics on the murder rate and gun violence in the states and it's just hard to understand how american's can still love their guns so much. Of course, I realize there are other factors that influence the rate of violent crime in the states, but the statistics make it VERY difficult to believe that the pro gun culture of the states is not one of the biggest factors contributing to the high rate of violent crime.

I hear cops in London don't even carry guns!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because your understanding of the statistics involved is incredibly poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not often I agree w/ borodog but this is one of them. I find it funny people will talk statistics yet they completely ignore the statistics coming out of the FBI. It seems like Frinkenstein didn't read or comprehend it the first time so here it is again:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Re...445&issue=

The FBI’s report once again confirmed that violent crime rates are lower in states with Right-to-Carry (RTC) laws. In 2005, RTC states had, on average, 22% lower total violent crime, 30% less murder, 46% lower robbery, and 12% lower aggravated assault rates, compared to the rest of the country.

<font color="red"> As usual, Washington, D.C., which leads the nation in anti-gun laws, led the nation in murder, with a rate six times higher than the rest of the country. </font>

Also, did you not read my points about switzerland? Borodog provided a nice link:

http://guncite.com/

that isn't a bad site.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a ridiculous poll.

I am a Canadian and I own four guns - all rifles. I am neither a cop nor a criminal. Are you that out of touch with your own country? I would be willing to wager that per capita there are more guns in Canada than in the US.

The difference between Canada and the US would be the justification for owning these firearms. There are very few individuals in Canada who own guns for protection as the primary usage here is for hunting/sport.

Your post makes you sound as though you are embarrasingly out of touch with your own country.

EDIT: Actually I also own a handgun however it is a German Luger with the firing pin removed. This was passed down to me after my grandfather passed away. The only reason I ruined the gun and had it disabled was because of the restrictions imposed on this weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and like you did not know what he maent. As a Canadian i knew he meant handguns. Clarifying that would be fine. And no per capita we do not own more guns. Heck In texas alone it would be 4 out of 5. many Canadians even turned in rifles with the new gun laws and many ignored them. I have a 22 rifle and never registered it. Also most crooks or criminals that have guns in Canada belong to gangs or organized crime
Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are the laws on being able to carry knives in the US?

Over here it's pretty much as strict as gun laws. If you're stopped with a knife, even a tiny one, you need to give really good reasons for carrying it in public.

[/ QUOTE ]
The laws vary from state to state. All states are fine with folding knives with blades under say 4-5 inches, such as pocket knives. Every male I know carries one. As far as I know it is also legal to openly carry any size fixed blade, up to a katana I suppose. You see this camping and hiking a lot, big bowie knives and things. Not so much in the city.

Concealing large fixed blade knives is a no-no. Ohio where I live has really vague laws so it isn't necessarily illegal to carry butterfly knives (balisong) blackjacks, etc but any particular cop might confiscate it and take you in if they don't like you. I gave my daughter mace to carry since I doubt her skill in a knife fight or willingness to stab an aggressor.

I have a concealed carry permit so I carry all kinds of things including large semi-automatic pistols.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know if we're allowed mace in the UK.

We're not allowed tasers, or pen sized batons, or even laser pens (which obviously arent good for self defense, but are cool none the less)
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM

wtf people. This shouldn't be to hard to understand. With stricter gun laws shootings and hence murder/deaths will go down on average.

This is NOT because organized crminals or cold blooded murders don't get their hands on a gun. It's because in the heat of an argument people are less likly to have a gun nearby to do something stupid i.e. shoot somebody. Yes, there is plenty of people stupid enough to shoot someone just because they get a little angry.

For the argument about lower crime in general in states with right to carry. I don't think that has a very large effect and if it does; i'd rather lose my vallet 10 times then my life 1 time.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf people. This shouldn't be to hard to understand. With stricter gun laws shootings and hence murder/deaths will go down on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that it doesn't.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 PM

On average countries with stricter gun laws have less murders/deaths, one source can not change that. It is much easier to find cases of strict gun policy = low crime realted deaths. Then the other way around
Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On average countries with stricter gun laws have less murders/deaths

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that they don't. There's pretty much no correlation at all. Anyone who was actually interested in the truth of the matter would know that.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We're not allowed tasers, or pen sized batons, or even laser pens (which obviously arent good for self defense, but are cool none the less)

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. Just goes to show you that the anti-self defense people are a bunch of wacko loony tunes.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:21 PM

To say that gun laws does not affect the crime death rate is just ignorant. Alternativly it's your way of tweaking the truth to fit your world view. (edit: actually it's still ignorant)

Huge % of the gun killings come from accidental or "in the heat of the moment" situations. A lot of these could be avoided.

If what you are saying is correct then the reason USA has higher crime realated deaths is just because the average american is more likly to kill someone then say the average european? Maybe it's just all organized criminal bans that run around and shoot people?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. Just goes to show you that the anti-self defense people are a bunch of wacko loony tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

But

in britain everyone generally likes each other. I think america is a very scared and mistrusting nation, whereas in england we all just drink tea and watch cricket.

Granted there are some dodgy places, there are parts of london i wouldnt recommend going into at night, but at the same time, there is rarely any reason to go into these places anyway.

Also, if you get into some trouble on the street, you're less likely to die from being shot.

Without trying to sound like a knob: those who are the best at self defence are the ones who know how best to avoid unpleasant situations altogether.

I still would like a laser pen though.