FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The first black president will be
Democrat 56 50.00%
Republican 51 45.54%
Other 5 4.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2006, 04:32 AM

Default Laying down AK

Yo at the Caz the other night I was faced with a pretty tough laydown. Its a 5-150 spread game (NLs illegal here) with 3-5 blinds. The table just started so we all have around $350 bucks (the max buy-in).

A point dexter business man opens for $15 next to UTG. Some donk in MP calls him. The Button calls him. I look down at AK in the BB and simply call.

Pot $60, 4 players.

The flop comes down Ks8s2c.

First to act, I fire $60 into the pot. The point dexter makes it 120 to go. The other dudes fold. I sit and think. I look at the dude, and hes not even nervous, which is scary when a dweeb just put in $120. He's pretending to watch the game. I think. If the dweeb suddenly grew the balls to raise on the cum in a 4-way pot, then he'd have the balls to raise more. It looks like he's just massaging the pot, so hes figuring that the $120 to-go is enough to knock out any flush draws behind him. He must not think Im on a flush draw tho, cuz hes giving me exactly 4-1 to call. That means he knows I have a made hand, which scares me.

In any case, he obviously has a made hand. But, what made hands can I beat? KQ, KJ, or 16 combinations. Would dweeby there raise me with trouble hands? The K is suited so he cant have KQ WITH a flush draw.

What hands beat me? AA, KK, and 88. All of them match the preflop raise, and the weak raise, but they only make up 7 combinations.

Finally, I muck my AK face up.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Laying down AK

i would push here and expect to get called by Kx where x is worse than an ace.

in my experience live, people just love to minraise with their top pair.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 AM

also, in general, i think it is a mistake to muck face up unless you think he will tilt.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would push here and expect to get called by Kx where x is worse than an ace.

in my experience live, people just love to minraise with their top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2006, 04:43 AM

You have TPTK with AK on a good board in a short live game and you've underrepped your hand pre. Get ai please.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:56 AM

First of all I would raise and not be afraid, espsecially when you all have such short stacks realative to the blnids. The pot is already largeish realative to stacks before the flop betting, I wouldn't be so afraid of a better hand here to fold. In fact it's unlikely enough that he has a better hand to raise.

Now as to what amount to raise.

Reraise max, I look at the odds I'm giving the other person to call. You profit when you give them poor odds, you create poorer odds with bigger bets.
You want to bet enough to not give them implied odds.

If we look at the pot, it is $243, if you re-raise 150 there is 453 in the pot, he's getting ~3:1 odds, and ~3.4:1 implied odds.

You could raise less than 150 and be giving him sufficiently poor odds, but I would raise the full amount because I would raise the full amount when on a draw or weaker hand too. This way, you get more $(by giving him poorer odds on your strong hands), and you make it tougher for him to make the right decision(calling/raising) when you are
"just fooling around".

Consider plays in the context of a balanced strategy.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have TPTK with AK on a good board in a short live game and you've underrepped your hand pre. Get ai please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Somewhere your point dexter is posting on his own poker forum:

I raised pf with KQ UTG+1, and some pimply, nitty pro wannabe misplays big slick preflop, then pots the flop only to make a "spectacular laydown" when I minraised behind [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That means he knows I have a made hand, which scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. TPTK OOP in a multi-way pot couldn't be less of a made hand.

By the way, you likely weren't behind here. Best play in my mind would have been to stop n' go. If he raises again on the turn, then re-evaluate.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied, but I must confess that I had an alterial (?) motive: Pride.

The dude did show his hand, Pocket Aces.

Prehaps I wasnt clear enough in my read of my opponent and the situation, so I wont belittle any of you who said I should have Reraised. Hell, 9/10 I would have gone to war with the dude, but I knew that a weak-tight player with an eerie sense of confidence was most likely bringing bigger guns to the fight than I was.

I thought it was funny how proudly he raked in the pot, figuring he just won money. If I was him Id of been pissed at myself and scared of my opponent for laying down AK in that spot. I got away with losing the bare minimum on a hand that should have cost me my whole stack.

My glouting ceases.