Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: What % of 100 do you reload at?

I agree Colonel. It's especially crappy to get a bad beat, be stacked, have to reload, and then indignity of indignities, repost!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 AM

I always reload for the max even if I just lose the BB because I want to have the maximum amount when it comes time to double through (of if Im lucky tripple through) my opponents.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Immediately reloading isn't necessarily the most +EV move all the time. Try to think of some spots where it's more +EV to have a slighter smaller (even 70bb) stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I can think of any situations you're talking about. What are you talking about?

What exactly are you getting at? If this were true why ever buy in full?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 AM

98% or under i reload if i notice since im always multitabling
Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 AM

I reload if I'm under 90BB. Though I don't reload if I'm still the high stack at the table.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:17 AM

1 blind less than the buyin
Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reload every time I'm under max buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2006, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Immediately reloading isn't necessarily the most +EV move all the time. Try to think of some spots where it's more +EV to have a slighter smaller (even 70bb) stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I can think of any situations you're talking about. What are you talking about?

What exactly are you getting at? If this were true why ever buy in full?

[/ QUOTE ]

- say you are tilting on another table. you are now risking your whole stack on a bunch of tables. playing slightly shorter for a bit will make your decisions easier. having a big stack when not playing your A game magnifies the EV you are leaking.

- say you've lost a few small pots (got your c-bets called, got reraised PF etc). you're image is kind of shaky, but OTOH people will be more weary the next time you decide to take a stand. so it might be hard to get 100bb in when you soon hit a big hand, but players are more likely to give action if your down to like 70-80bb. you look more desperate/frustrated and it's easier for people to put in less than their stack against a 'gambling' shorty who hasn't shown down a hand yet.

- when you're running poor and not playing your A game. one might think that it would still be the most +EV to have a full stack in order to get back your losses quicker. but the funny thing is that running bad often gets compounded with playing bad. also, i find that your decisions become a lot arder and people continue to put you in bad spots when your running bad. so sometimes i won't reload right away, and i'll try to regroup while having only say 70-80bb on some of my tables. now i'll keep a full stack on tables where i'm not running bad and/or there are a few big fish. but at the normal/tough tables i find not much difference in having a big stack. and relating to point 2, tags will tend to give a bit more action if you're not full stacked.

- if there are a few (suspected) good players at the table, AND I don't have good reads on them. Nothing wrong with buying in shorter and then topping up once you get reads.

Most of these factors don't occur that often for me. And I'd guess that I play less than full-stacked < 10% of the time. But these situations do arise, and you can up your winrate while minimizing your losses by knowing how to recognize them. It might not be so important at nl50 where players will not take advantage of your tilt or poor image. But it makes a difference when you up in stakes. Poker is a situational game, and so I hate to make rules for myself. Always rebuying to full is an unnecessary rule to have for yourself.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reload anytime my stack drops below 95bb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2006, 01:17 PM

@Isura: Valid points.
But as you said, I think it's rarely ever applicable to NL 50 and below.

- If I'm tilting at another table AND I'm noticing that, I'll make sure to get up and stop playing.

- If my image is bad due to losing a few successive smallish pots, chances are slim that many a villain will have noticed that. But, the few observant players tend to be more willing to gamble if you're relatively short and they've got deep stacks.

- If I'm running poor I can't really predict when things will turn around or how long the slump will last. So, I'd rather have that stack handy for maximum gain for if I should stumble upon a monster.

- And if I suspect a few good players at the table and don't have reads on them, I'd rather go and sit with suspected bad players without having reads on them...

Having said that, I do agree that buying in short does have it's benefits for some players. I just feel more comfortable when I'm deep enough. I'd rather be able to play my A-game (deep) than try to mess around as a shortie (which would be my C-game, if that good)...

And to answer OPs question: I typically reload when I'm down to 90 BB, unless I'm still the biggest stack at the table (which happens fairly often with all the shorties at FTP). And in that case, I'm starting to browse around for better tables.