Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Roughing the Kicker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The feeling you get when your team blocks a punt creates great excitement, and sheer terror on the other side of the ball when it gets blocked. From a fan perspective, I feel this would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gap in your logic is that removing or changing the penalty would not create more blocked kicks, only more late hits and injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I believe you would have a lot more teams going after the punter especially when the punting team is on about their own 35 yard line rather than dropping one or 2 guys back to protect the return guy. This would probably also trigger longer (and more exciting) returns from the return man, considering the punting team would drop an additional one or two guys back to make sure their punt wasn't blocked.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you care if the kicker gets hurt or not? He assumes the same risk that everyone else does that plays the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without rules protection, Kickers would assume more risk than any other position. They have little ability to protect themselves from getting hit. When in this position...

...a kicker is unable to brace himself against a charging defender who could be at full speed at the moment of contact. They'd be defenseless targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 99% of the time, he is going to get knocked back on his ass and then get back up and trot back to the sidelines.

Wide receivers stretch out and dive for balls in mid air and get hit in mid air. If a defender does it should it be a penalty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever played a contact sport? A player in that position would be injured a hell of a lot more than 1% of the time. Changing the rule would reduce the average carrer of a punter to about one season.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you care if the kicker gets hurt or not? He assumes the same risk that everyone else does that plays the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without rules protection, Kickers would assume more risk than any other position. They have little ability to protect themselves from getting hit. When in this position...

...a kicker is unable to brace himself against a charging defender who could be at full speed at the moment of contact. They'd be defenseless targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Dynasty pwns you in anything other than Harry Potter knowledge, there's something wrong.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Meh, the OP is sure he's right and nothing is going to change his mind that wussy kickers don't deserve protection. Pwning him is all well and good, but it's not like he's going to realize, "Hey! I'm being a [censored]! How about that? I shall change my views based on the logical and intelligent arguments I have seen today."
Old 09-23-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, I believe you would have a lot more teams going after the punter especially when the punting team is on about their own 35 yard line rather than dropping one or 2 guys back to protect the return guy. This would probably also trigger longer (and more exciting) returns from the return man, considering the punting team would drop an additional one or two guys back to make sure their punt wasn't blocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You and TT should go have an "Always Wrong" party or something.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Why not get rid of letting QBs slide down while were at it.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And 99% of the time, he is going to get knocked back on his ass and then get back up and trot back to the sidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the other 1% his leg would snap in half when some 250lb Linebacker charging full speed hits it at an ackward angle?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:51 PM

This rule needs to be in the game somehow, as kickers need to be protected, but I think "running into the kicker" needs to go. Yeah, I know that would force the refs to make some tough calls, but most of the 5-yard calls are either total accidents or dives by the kicker anyway, and the presence of the rule forces the refs to make the call despite those being IMO against the spirit of the rules. Kind of like PK's in soccer.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:04 AM

I disagree. Frankly, I think there should be MORE five yard penalties (and fewer 15 yarders) for borderline stuff, saving the 15 yard penalties for severe things. They have it for facemasks and kickers, why not for taunting and borderline late hits too?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 AM

The thing about this rule is, if you slightly touch the guy it's going to get called. When you go after the kicker on a block attempt, you are going after the ball, and any injury that may occur is an unwanted side effect. If you hit the quarterback late or a guy that's 3 yards out of bounds, a good percentage of the time it is malicious towards the player.

The biggest problem I have with the roughing the kicker call is that it automatically gives the kicking team a first down.