Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Fire 2 Barrels or Take a Free Card? (2/4NL 6max)

I think you should only fire the second barrel here if you're prepared to fire a third on most blank rivers (subject to timing tells). Betting here will fold out most mediocre made hands, but given your description I'm guessing most draws will call. You just need to make sure he usually doesn't win the pot with Q-high or whatever when you both miss.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:18 AM

can those who are advocating taking a free card post their reasons? I'm often unsure of what to do in these spots so would like to hear your opinions.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
take the free card

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you afraid of the free card, or think he has a hand that he thinks is good, or do you think he is the type to payoff big with Kx on the river? I would think a guy like this would often have T9, QJ, 99 type hands that isn't sure where it stands and he seems passive enough that a c/r is not a big concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

but he also prolly wont fold those to a second barrell, thus bloatin the pot and making us not really sure where we stand...
Old 09-24-2006, 05:03 AM

ppl advocating bet bet bet bet clearly didnt read op's read, which was 'loose passive.' you dont win vs loose passive players by 'value betting' 6 high unimproved on the turn where your draw cannot be ahead. so, you make a hand, then bet.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:50 AM

I dont double barrel that often so when I do it's more likely that they will fold.

If you double barrel infrequently then this might be a good spot to do it.

However I'd normally just check behind here as a loose passive probably isnt folding a King. You are also likely to gain more when you hit because he will usually bet/call.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Here's what actually happened:

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($110, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $85</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $255</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $170 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $280

This was fairly early in my session, I played alot of hands against this opponent after this hand (he was on like 3 tables of mine). He was pretty loose-passive preflop, but alot tighter postflop. Anytime he called my flop cbet he was pretty much going all the way with a hand, he made all his raises or check-raises on the turn. In fact we played out a couple more hands almost exactly like the above (except I had complete air instead of a draw). I never saw a showdown in a hand like this against this opponent however, so I'm still not sure what his calling standards are. I doubt I'll be double-barreling vs. this opponent in the future.

I do often double barrel vs. certain types of loose passives as many of them call almost all flop cbets with almost any two, but will actually need some kind of hand or reasonable draw to call the turn. You need some decent reads and/or postflop stats for these plays though, in general bluffing loose passives is obviously not the best play.