Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Default A table image problem

Cliff notes: I am perceived by others as weak tight and thus am being played back at a lot; how do I counter this?

Recently I switched from limit to NL and have dedicated myself to learning NL from the bottom on up. I started at 1/2 and over 10k hands I've been crushing it. Obv. this sample size is miniscule but based on the quality of opposition I face at 1/2 I'm pretty certain I'm at least a winning player.

Recently I started taking stabs at 2/4, and almost immediately I began running really badly. I think over my first 1600 hands my wtsd/w$sd was like 22/30 (i've played a bunch since then, and now i'm still at 22/42). I reviewed my sessions pretty thoroughly and concluded that though I'd make a couple of bad plays, most of it was just running bad.

Here is the problem: because my move up coincides with my getting cold decked, I think a lot of the 2/4 regulars have this impression of me as being really weak/tight, so I think my pf raises and flop cbets are getting played back at a lot more than normal. It sucks to get floated/flop bluff raised a lot, because it puts me in some really difficult situations where I inevitably make mistakes. What is a good counter strategy assuming others do have this perception?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: A table image problem

fold less and c/r and rr more?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM

Change your sn?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:59 PM

You're probably imagining things. The higher up you play the more people play back at you, because that is what good players do.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably imagining things. The higher up you play the more people play back at you, because that is what good players do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 1600 hands nobody has enough stats on you or even a good enough read to be sure you're weak tight. People are just playing back more cause they are better.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 PM

1600 hands lol you are imagining it, as you move up players become more aggressive

just try to figure out who is doing what against you and counter them

When people start raising too many flops then i tend to make much looser calls and represent different hands. I'll make them bet the turn and if they dont I'm usually firing 1/2 pot on the river(depending on pot size).

An example from the other day I raise from SB with Axs BB calls flop comes JTx 2 of my suit he raises 1.5x pot or so I call even though I'm OOP and probably not getting paid off on the flush. A Q hits the turn and he checks behind now I can represent AK/AQ or better on the river and make a good sized river bet.

Just have to represent hands that you would call raises with and pounce when they dont follow up. Very strong hands usually double barrel, weak hands normally dont.